Author Topic: Blue Dot FE lower return not available?  (Read 2235 times)

1967 eight barrel

Blue Dot FE lower return not available?
« on: March 22, 2016, 07:41:29 AM »
I called NPD to order the FE PS return line. There is a part number with no price. I called NPD and the said that Blue Dot never released them. Has anyone been able to obtain one anywhere?

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Blue Dot FE lower return not available?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 09:15:06 AM »
NOS at Columbus swap meet (or the likes) ...or check with Bob, he sometimes has or can get you one. I understand the style of crimping can vary so pricing can vary also. Obviously the assembly line version NOS would be higher in most instances.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 01:14:00 PM »
I called NPD to order the FE PS return line. There is a part number with no price. I called NPD and the said that Blue Dot never released them. Has anyone been able to obtain one anywhere?

Clueless order taker IMO. They(Blue dot ,NPD) have had them for years. The CORRECT 67 NOS single crimp type return line is like searching for bigfoot.  The 68 version (yes there are two and are slightly different) is almost as hard. The later 68 service unit is double crimped which DOT mandated after 1970? I think. You can find those fairly often. They will work fine work but don't look correct ,but certainly better then nothing. Some NOS later service return hoses on  ebay now.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 01:16:44 PM »
Clueless order taker IMO. They(Blue dot ,NPD) have had them for years. The CORRECT 67 NOS single crimp type return line is like searching for bigfoot.  The 68 version (yes there are two and are slightly different) is almost as hard. The later 68 service unit is double crimped which DOT mandated after 1970? I think. You can find those fairly often. They will work fine work but don't look correct ,but certainly better then nothing. Some NOS later service return hoses on  ebay now.
Blue dot chose to only reproduce the single crimp 68 version for both 67/68 years. They felt (to my dismay) that it was close enough to the 67 version.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 04:44:35 AM »
There is no armor on the Gates replacement and the tubing is bent incorrectly. So I have to order a '68 return so I at least have the armor on the hose. Got it.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 01:50:55 PM »
There is no armor on the Gates replacement and the tubing is bent incorrectly. So I have to order a '68 return so I at least have the armor on the hose. Got it.
Any hose you get that is not OEM or blue dot I am sorry to say is going to stand out like a sore thumb. I may work functionally but will not look right surrounded by other things that are correct.If a nasty looking after market P?S hose is for temporary use is one thing but if you have other correct hoses and this is a permanent installation I would strongly suggest getting one of the more available C8 service hoses. They typically range in price from 150.00-200 dollars . You can also wait for blue dot to get them back in stock (call them). Don't settle for aftermarket in this case is my advise.

Offline preaction

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 09:12:47 PM »
Who or what is Blue dot ? Im going to guess they repop the hoses.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline tobkob

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 11:43:07 PM »
Check them out here. My blue dot hoses fit and look good.

http://bluedotspecialties.com/

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 11:53:25 PM »
Blue Dot is considered more on the correct side of the offerings for PS hoses. They are very proud of them: As noted by the prices. However, I am sure the FE market isn't that large, so the cost makes some sense to recuperate the tooling cost. The "best repro" NPD offers are listed for '68 vehicles. I may have to make a call.

Another one of those wonderful running changes is the 1/4" or 5/16" fitting. If your control valve wasn't changed at some point, it looks like the date break for the hose selection is 19 Jun 67. 

Get ready to dump about 400.00 for all of them, and they still aren't right.
                                                                                           -Keith

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 12:24:17 AM »
Blue Dot is considered more on the correct side of the offerings for PS hoses. They are very proud of them: As noted by the prices. However, I am sure the FE market isn't that large, so the cost makes some sense to recuperate the tooling cost. The "best repro" NPD offers are listed for '68 vehicles. I may have to make a call.

Another one of those wonderful running changes is the 1/4" or 5/16" fitting. If your control valve wasn't changed at some point, it looks like the date break for the hose selection is 19 Jun 67. 

Get ready to dump about 400.00 for all of them, and they still aren't right.
                                                                                           -Keith
The change to the larger fitting in the control valve was after 67 Shelby production ceased.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 01:03:43 AM »
Bob,
I have a 1/4" port, however I wasn't aware that all 67 Shelbys were completed prior to the break at 19 June 67. Interesting.

-Keith

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 01:33:02 AM »
Bob,
I have a 1/4" port, however I wasn't aware that all 67 Shelbys were completed prior to the break at 19 June 67. Interesting.

-Keith
I meant to infer that the 19 june date is not accurate.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 02:09:03 AM »
So cataloging isn't accurate then. Thanks.