Author Topic: 67 Big Block 4 speed clutch linkage finishes  (Read 1934 times)

1967 eight barrel

67 Big Block 4 speed clutch linkage finishes
« on: April 26, 2016, 02:53:23 AM »
Jeff,
It appears that the clutch linkage is actually phosphate. Is that what your observation is as well?

-Keith

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 Big Block 4 speed clutch linkage finishes
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 04:52:25 AM »
Jeff,
It appears that the clutch linkage is actually phosphate. Is that what your observation is as well?

Which part or parts are you referring to? Lots of individual parts that make up the whole system.

Taking this and starting a new thread
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 05:07:27 AM »
Jeff, I was looking at the Rod to equalizer and the equalizer.

-Keith

Offline specialed

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 01:29:36 PM »
we have a pair of REAL assembly line frame & block big block brackets on ebay with good photos to show the  the original finish .

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 05:51:46 PM »
we have a pair of REAL assembly line frame & block big block brackets on ebay with good photos to show the  the original finish .
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1968-Original-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT-500-KR-428-CJ-Equalizer-Bar-Brackets-/322086077309  . I don't know if it is the photography but those look very dark to me. If they are as dark as the photo seems to indicate then they would have to be very heavy zinc phosphate . It almost looks like the darker manganese phosphate . I have had numerous in the past and do so have several currently of those and they were so light in color that if they were zinc phosphated it was very light. The well preserved greasy ones I have had were never that dark. Not to say they couldn't be but skeptical that look is the normal.A light zinc phosphate helps with maintenance of the metal appearance does don't typically find them that dark. The same lighter metal shade look goes for the Z bar and other linkage from what I have seen. Just my observations.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 06:46:42 PM »
Jeff, I was looking at the Rod to equalizer and the equalizer.                                       

Challenge IMHO for these and other parts is that so many of us have seen service replacements both installed on cars and loose for sale over the years those finishes can confuse the mix.

With that said and with no clear original pictures from that area of the car my observations and what we've allow for judging has been bare oiled steel and those with a light (thickness and in color - not charcoal black) tone.  Often most if not all of the service replacement have been zinc or cad plated.

Its also been me observation that these parts are not normally very rusty suggesting that they all likely had a phosphate coating - just not something that could make them appear black when viewed in a dark engine compartment

Just my observations ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 01:34:54 AM »
If the ones posted by SPEC ED are actually factory assembly finish, they are a dark black/gray color. Is that the example that would be accepted?
You are correct. Almost ALL the service parts I have seen are silver cad/zinc.

-Keith

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 10:24:30 AM »
If the ones posted by SPEC ED are actually factory assembly finish, they are a dark black/gray color. Is that the example that would be accepted?
You are correct. Almost ALL the service parts I have seen are silver cad/zinc.

-Keith
There is a acceptable range like many things.  I have seen it so light that it could be confused with bare metal for example. That dark would be at the far other end of the spectrum and under some circumstances could be mistaken for painted black. You would be better off doing them a much lighter shade of zinc phosphate IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline specialed

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 11:27:30 AM »
My brackets were just pulled from my inventory of 10 or so sets as I separtated the 67-68 from 69-70s & don't need the early (hard to find) brackets so will be selling them off but they have been laying around here for YEARS & not replated just cleaned & may be take-offs but good used assembly -line brackets. Look at frame bracket & you can see the shiny steel area where the shaft wore on bushing & bolt hole marks on both brackets . These brackets are original finish & not glass beaded but I never took them off a car so don't even know where I got them from probly a swap meet somewhere.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 11:31:21 AM by specialed »

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 04:08:13 PM »
Ed,
I was wondering why I had slots for adjustments on both brackets I have. It's clear now that the frame pivot is a service replacement while the block pivot is an original.
                                                                                                                        -Keith