Author Topic: Radiator  (Read 3492 times)

Offline sparky65

Radiator
« on: June 23, 2010, 11:29:36 PM »
What are the options for replacing the radiator?  I don't believe the one I have is original since it seems some one moved the inlet location in the top tank.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline Sunlitgold68

Re: Radiator
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 12:01:51 AM »
Depends on how original you want it to be. You can find a 1967 2 row radiator and have it recored or you can get a replacement that looks correct. You can find a correct radiator, just have to keep looking.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline sparky65

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 12:14:41 AM »
So i just took a closer look at the one i have.  It has FoMoCo stamped in the top tank.  But it looks like there was an inlet on the drivers side of the tank but a patch was soldered over it and a new one was added to the passenger side.  Is this some one did later on?  I cant understand why.  It makes no sense to me.  I also have only that portion of the build sheet which shows a C7ZE B radiator.  Would i find that part number somewhere on the radiator?
Ill try to get pictures tomorrow. Unless some one tells me this is normal.
Steve
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 08:39:44 AM »
The part # is on the side rail drivers side, you should see it unless there is rust. I would let your local radiator shop look at it and see if it can be recored.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Offline sparky65

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 12:41:51 AM »
Thanks for pointing me in the right place.  I found the part number it has a 1 on the end which isn't on the build sheet.  Also has a date code which seems to match my build date.  Here are some pics

I still dont understand this spot which looks like a patch on an old inlet.  Should this be there?

As far as re-coring.  What exactly do they do?  What is the benefit of having it done.  I don't think the radiator leaks nor does it seemed clogged.  Probably could be cleaned though.
Steve
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 08:43:24 AM »
At least we know it's your original radiator.... it has had some extensive work done on it... and doesn't look very good...... When you get one recored the section you see where the hole has been patched up and other hole remains will be removed, the fin part is removed and bottom top section of bottom tank. You are left with the 2 side rails with the part #, the top section which has fomoco stamped on it and the lower bottom part, the fins and bottom section of top tank are replaced and the top section of the lower tank. Replacing those sections is known as recoring, the radiator is basically new again and you can paint it with eastwoods satin black radiator paint as a final step.

If your top tank needs replacing, you can find another 67 with fomoco written on it.... just be sure to save those side rails with your part #....

8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Offline sparky65

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 09:40:41 PM »
I hope to bring my radiator to one of the shops around here to see about getting it recored.  They said they need to measure it  and such is there anything i should specify about the type of core?
Steve
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 12:00:16 AM »
It's just a 2 row radiator..... my shop had to get my core made somewhere. They blasted the rails ect and let me take it home to paint after they recored it. If you have automatic, save your auto transmission cooling line fittings, they clean up nice with a wire wheel.

8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Offline slk25

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 06:30:58 AM »
My March 66 San Jose c-code fastback radiator has developed a leak that appears to be from the area next to the transmission cooler fittings.  Is this typical?  Can the bottom tank be patched or do I need to find a donor radiator with a good tank?
January 28 1966 Dearborn manufactured hardtop 289 2v 3spd manual

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 12:29:06 PM »
I'd recommend taking the radiator to a local radiator shop and get their opinion.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline slk25

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 12:34:51 AM »
Thanks Charles, it took three trips but the leak was finally tracked down to a faulty solder joint between the core and the bottom tank.   It only opened when the fittings for the auto transmission cooler were fitted up with the rigid lines.
January 28 1966 Dearborn manufactured hardtop 289 2v 3spd manual