Author Topic: 1967 Fast back spacing between trim panels where fold down set rest on ledge....  (Read 1384 times)

1967 eight barrel

If a few of you could do me a huge favor and measure in three places the width between the interior quarter trim panels where the seat ledge lays on the rail of the panel I would be grateful.
I could use a measurement at the lowest corner at the corner where the deck is flat and about where the piano hinge is. My panels are the 1967 units, evidenced by the notch where the latch plates are.
A picture or two showing the gap would be helpful as well. The last part of the interior before the front seats go back in... I am baffled, as there are no ways to adjust the trim panels.

Offline mhubert89

Hey ! Not sure that i understand what you need , its that help ? If not let me know i can check for you !
Mustang Fastback 1968
289, 4 speed
Built in Dearborn on April 16th

1967 eight barrel

Thank you for going to that trouble!  My problem is the fold down seat is not clearing the fiberglass trim panels. I don't know If I should fault the fold down front section, or for some reason, the fiberglass panels are warped.
I was needing measurements from a vehicle that is assembled and working properly from the fiberglass panel ledge the fold down segments would rest on side to side.

Offline 7R02A

I measure 41 5/8 inches from side to side for the opening between the fiberglass panels.  My fold down front panel is 41 1/4 inches wide.  Hope this is helpful.
John
John
1967 Fastback, A code, automatic transmission, Deluxe interior, AC, PS, P disc brakes, tilt, consoles, exterior group, fold down, DSO 71.
San Jose build, Actual build: Dec 17, 66.

1967 eight barrel

John, thank you. I am at 41 3/16. I have no idea how to fix the issue now. I appreciate your effort on my behalf!

-Keith

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
John, thank you. I am at 41 3/16. I have no idea how to fix the issue now. I appreciate your effort on my behalf!

-Keith

If you think the trim panels are warped, maybe build a fixture that pushes the panels a bit farther apart (say add as much as 1/2 inch to the opening) and let the fixture stay in there for a few weeks/month while you can move onto another area of the assembly. The panels will naturally want to settle back to the old bowed in postion but I would want to be careful to not go Gorilla on them either! Maybe start with 1/4 inch larger (above 70 degrees a huge plus I imagine) and keep adding a quarter of an inch as the panels slowly push in.

This is only an idea. Be careful. Make the fixture push across at least a 6x6 to 10x10 inch area, closest to where the top flip dow rests.. You surely don't want to break a panel (again)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 02:34:39 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

1967 eight barrel

My curiosity is if anyone else has had a problem with this. I went out and set the lower  seat cushion in between panels and it fits absolutely perfect.
They pull in properly to the B pillar. The roll bar doesn't push out on them and the floor strips aren't bent.
The factory used steel to reinforce them where they are bolted to the floor and supports the fold down seat assembly.
I considered completing assembly and using plastic 1/8" shims on each side folded down to do just what you suggested, with the hope they would change shape a bit.
I am just baffled at what to do with this situation.

1967 eight barrel

Hey ! Not sure that i understand what you need , its that help ? If not let me know i can check for you !
It just dawned on me that I should check the floor measurement to the lower mounting point. At least I can rule that out as a possible issue.  Thank you again.