Author Topic: 69 NJ - Sound deadener on rear wheel wells should be painted?  (Read 968 times)

Offline xotyn4ik

69 NJ - Sound deadener on rear wheel wells should be painted?
« on: November 04, 2016, 03:12:46 PM »
Hello,
I found a couple topics in this forum about sound deadener on rear wheel wells, which  have different opinions. I have 1969 Mach 1 ( NJ February 20) and  I about to paint my car, But I do not know if sound deadener on rear wheel wells should be painted by body color  or not.  Could you please provide some clear information about this
Thank you,
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 06:13:31 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 NJ - Sound deadener on rear wheel wells should be painted?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 06:20:36 PM »
Sound deadener to the rear wheel wells would have been applied to the body when (same station or pretty close to one another) the trunk sound deadener was applied and was IMHO in place when the body color arrived so one would expect.

1 - The quarter panel wheel lip would have been painted first producing a shadow 4-6" up and behind that lip.

2- The rear frame rail, gas tank drop and wheel well exposed through the wheel well/ quarter panel opening was exposed to direct application of exterior color as the painter moved the gun back and forth across the opening rather than up and over it.

Over the years the outer coating of painted sound deadener often wore away leaving just the dark black looking produce visible., You can normally still find evidence of paint over the product in protected corners and areas on unrestored cars. Also for decades it was allowed (for judgin) and accepted by many that sound deadener was applied when the front wheel wells were applied or after body color. We've disproved that though many still reproduce the earlier understanding today

Hope this helps

And welcome to the site. Hope you find the information here helpful in your concours related projects
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline xotyn4ik

Re: 69 NJ - Sound deadener on rear wheel wells should be painted?
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 07:05:38 PM »
Thank you so much for explanation, very clear and understandable