Author Topic: ACC concourse trunk mat install help  (Read 2192 times)

1967 eight barrel

ACC concourse trunk mat install help
« on: November 23, 2016, 07:12:09 AM »
I purchased the ACC burtex trunk mat. It comes with two angular pieces. Does anyone know how they are used? Pictures of installed pieces?
Help would be appreciated. -Keith

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: ACC concourse trunk mat install help
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 08:17:10 PM »
The original mat was one piece no small additional pieces. Sounds like you bought one where the reproducing company (just a guess) cut around the rear bumper braces in the trunk and expected you to use these little scraps to cover those cut outs. Originals didn't have them nor where they "notched" around the braces..

Example - picture A3 in the following thread

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11910.msg71973#msg71973

Though other body styles - additional examples and details

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=13010.15

Three original examples showing no notchign around the bumper bracket

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 08:59:59 PM »
Thank you, Jeff.
Is there a way to get them to conform better to the floor? Can they be wet should they be cemented?

-Keith

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 08:44:11 AM »
The yellow adhesive was used to secure them. I am sure Jeff will have some pictures.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 12:35:39 AM »
Thank you, Marty. It looks like I may still have to do a bit of trimming.

-Keith

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 06:09:46 PM »
Thank you, Jeff.
Is there a way to get them to conform better to the floor? Can they be wet should they be cemented?                                                       

Sewn corners help them conform a little better. Setting in the sun or heating them carefully from a distance with a heat gun can get the top surface to bend or give a little and speed up the shaping. On some cars they were glued in place but not all it appears. Don't forget the underlayment over the tank

Without glue

With glue

Jeff Speegle

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 11:44:14 PM »
The thread may have to be split, but I purchased a paper reproduction of the LH well filler and I noted it looked like one was a fiberboard in your reference photo.
Does anyone reproduce the fiberboard style? I also noted the fuel sending unit wire was black in the photo, The reproduction harness I have it's yellow with what I remember being a white stripe.

-Keith

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 11:49:33 PM »
The thread may have to be split, but I purchased a paper reproduction of the LH well filler and I noted it looked like one was a fiberboard in your reference photo.
Does anyone reproduce the fiberboard style?

On splitting I'll wait and see how far this goes ;)

Not aware of anyone making the board difficult to get boards to make them out of that are the same thickness but not really hard to make for the earlier cars
Jeff Speegle

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 07:49:55 AM »
Does anyone reproduce the fiberboard style? I also noted the fuel sending unit wire was black in the photo, The reproduction harness I have it's yellow with what I remember being a white stripe.

-Keith
I've seen fuel sending lines both black and yellow/white; I guess it depends upon who manufactured the harnesses.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 08:47:55 AM »
Randy,
This was noted on the 1967 model year vehicles?

-Keith

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 01:33:33 PM »
I believe so; in fact, after 1966, I've seen black and yellow/white across multiple years.  Sometimes the yellow is painted onto a black rubber-like insulation.  Even when the wire is newly exposed from the braiding, it is still black. 

I'll have to check my records on which years show this duality, seen only on the tail-light harnesses.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com