Author Topic: Air cleaner to carb gasket  (Read 4558 times)

Offline bazza

Air cleaner to carb gasket
« on: December 22, 2016, 09:14:15 PM »
Does anyone have a source for the air cleaner to carb gasket for the holley?
It is extra thick with adhesive on one side.
Made thick so that the air cleaner base clears the float adjusters.
Mansfield has run out of them.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 09:17:32 PM by bazza »
67 Dearborn S code coupe Built 8/17/67

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Air cleaner to carb gasket
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 12:56:14 AM »
Does anyone have a source for the air cleaner to carb gasket for the holley?
It is extra thick with adhesive on one side.
Made thick so that the air cleaner base clears the float adjusters.
Mansfield has run out of them.
There is the easiest way and the best way. The easiest way is felpro 60032 . It is thick but doesn't look correct to those that know what they are looking at. The best way is also in keeping with the theme of this forum which is the concours way . The best way given the original is unavailable is to get 3 of the thin ones (preferably tan) and glue together. That is how the assemblyline one was constructed . Now it does not stop there because the assemblyline C5ZZ-C one is tan color so you have to paint the gasket to look correct given most are black in color that you find. Only one surface (top OR bottom)  had the red adhesive (I paint mine red). Of course you can apply the faux finish to the felpro thick one too for a more authentic look but it would still not be the best way. hopefully this will help you and others searching in the future with some different alternatives that can be considered.  :)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 01:00:02 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bazza

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 11:00:52 AM »
Thanks Bob, would you agree that adhesive side faced to the top, to attach to air cleaner base?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 12:00:50 PM »
Thanks Bob, would you agree that adhesive side faced to the top, to attach to air cleaner base?
I think that was the intention but in reality I think it was installed any which way. I don't think it really matters since the purpose was a spacer as much as a sealing gasket. The red color adhesive used was not very good. I used to think it was because the adhesive was old and dried out but even on newer service gaskets before they went obsolete the adhesive was useless. You were lucky to get it to stick once. With it on the carb you don't have to worry about it falling off and losing it or forgetting to put it back on like you do when it is on the air cleaner base. However I always place it red side up on the carb so it can be seen when the air cleaner is taken off .
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 12:03:04 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bazza

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 12:25:44 PM »
Thanks again. I think I'm slowly coming to terms with the whole concours thing.
Once upon a time I would've just triple stacked 3 gaskets or used the thick Felpro.

Offline specialed

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2016, 10:22:36 AM »
 I have at least 3 assembly line ford carb gaskets  & the assembly manual shows the red being installed a certain way. The c5zz casket is a thick 3 layer gasket serviced by ford with the red on 1 side & not what I see on factory holley carbs on low mile survivor cars I see the thin version 1 red sided type used & I have some like that out of Dearborn assembly plant that are black inked stamped  c7za # on 1 side opposite the red side.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 02:52:16 AM »
I have at least 3 assembly line ford carb gaskets  & the assembly manual shows the red being installed a certain way. The c5zz casket is a thick 3 layer gasket serviced by ford with the red on 1 side & not what I see on factory holley carbs on low mile survivor cars I see the thin version 1 red sided type used & I have some like that out of Dearborn assembly plant that are black inked stamped  c7za # on 1 side opposite the red side.

Never seen one with any marking son them - cool find but don't think I'll find a used one with marking still there. red ones I've had in packages I don't recall having any markings on
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 09:56:43 AM »
I looked at a original that I have and found the red but no sign of a part number. The number could have been a ink stamp that wore off.

Offline specialed

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 11:30:45 AM »
The assembly line gasket  I am talking about having c7zf ink stamped # is the 1 layer thin type   the c5zz service  thick gasket has 3 layers .

Offline bazza

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 01:04:06 PM »
So is it a fallacy that it requires a thick gasket to clear the float adjusters??
I have seen few cleaner bases that were quite beat up, which I just assumed were caused by using a thin gasket.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 12:18:22 AM »
So is it a fallacy that it requires a thick gasket to clear the float adjusters??
I have seen few cleaner bases that were quite beat up, which I just assumed were caused by using a thin gasket.
I am not sure about the float adjuster aspect (always had heard that one too) but thought the thick gaskets were used on the 65/66 and the thin on 67-up.   I clicked on unread posts since last visit and answered your question in regards to how it was stated with no regard to the year sub section it was in.

Offline bazza

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 03:06:48 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up Bob.
Specialed, was the C7ZF also a tan colour?

Offline specialed

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2016, 12:08:30 PM »
yes tan from what I remember & tryng to find my c7za thin gaskets here somewhere. If you put the thick c5zz gasket on a holley carb it sits level with top of carb so air cleaner base don't lock in good to carb top like the thin gasket does on a holley .  I have here 2 nos carb gasket packages but one is empty & they are c5zz-9654-b & c

Offline specialed

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2016, 01:17:40 PM »
The thin gasket  eng # ink stamped c5af-9654-aa then the thicker gasket eng # c7zf-9654- a  & the thickest gasket is ford service replacement c5zz & the red is not glue but a red dye.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 01:20:39 PM by specialed »

Offline bazza

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2016, 11:01:17 PM »
Thanks for clarifying that Specialed, any idea how thick the c7zf-9654-a is? I might attempt to make one out of gasket stock if i can find the right colour.