Author Topic: 65 Running Changes - 65-66 Rear Brake Adjuster Hole  (Read 3137 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 65 Running Changes - 65-66 Rear Brake Adjuster Hole
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2023, 12:53:33 AM »
So are we saying this applies mostly to late '65 and into '66 production?  What's the date on the TSB talking about the 'new design'?

The original TSB was dated June 15th 65. Indicated also in post #7

Been following and collecting examples for decades since I was reminded of the detail when I first purchased the wife's 66 San Jose car. Here are five examples from 65 and 66. The upper left example happens to be Mike's 65 Dearborn built convertible. Have more of course but this should illustrate what they often look like when found. If they have been knocked out the small irregular lower edge of the opening will still be there as evidence of the plug attachment. Don't see a reason, at this moment to post a picture of those.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 65 Running Changes - 65-66 Rear Brake Adjuster Hole
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2023, 01:07:01 AM »
The June 15 65 date is when the TSB came out. I wonder how many months logistically it took before Ford discovered that they had a problem and needed  to pint a TSB. I don't think it is likely that it would be simultaneously with its 6/15/65  put into implication date.

Don't think there is any indication that there was a "problem", just a change on the details of the product as it was changed to and as delivered to the car plant and the Sterling plant for the rear end assemblies. In other cars, often problem or just change of process or practices at the plants that would affect the dealers or service personnel the TSB did include a date of the change at the plant in the text. Example May 4th 65 when the plants stopped shipping vinyl top Mustang and other ford products with black or brown tops without shipping covers as they had done prior and continued to do with lighter colored tops. 

IMHO more likely the change on the line took place prior to the publishing of the TSB. Often we find the TSB, when there is a issue or problem, identify that one a certain week or time period the following mistake or problem got by them and for dealerships and service personal to on the look out for the issue. Examples from my memory were crankshaft pulley bolts, flywheel and starter mismatch, routing of the starter cable on early K codes as well as others.

In other examples of TSB there is no indication of when the change too effect. Examples would be (TSB#621) the change from what the shop manual said (when it was printed) to a change in what spark plugs were being used in 67 or when (TSB#325) when Ford changed the piston and piston pin design. Just two that I happened to have scanned when I did the knock out one above.

Sorry likely went deeper than necessary in the uses of TSBs

Bottom line would be that since we don't know exactly the date the 65 and 66 cars were completed we can't say exactly to the day which cars built near that date in June it applies exactly but for others its pretty clear and we've found physical evidence of the practice
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 01:10:31 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)