Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Processes, Products & Techniques

Zinc Plating -

<< < (2/5) > >>

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: jwc66k on July 27, 2017, 08:33:43 PM ---.............. Before or after plating? I send all my parts bead blasted and dry (the current humidity is 33 percent).

--- End quote ---

After of course :) 

As for prep depends on the part and its condition. Nuts and bolt sort of things are stripped then wire brushed do to not leave a texture. Just a choice

CharlesTurner:
The local plater here referred to wiring parts as 'rack plating' and small parts/fasteners as 'barrel plating'.  Barrel plating a large batch of nuts/bolts has usually worked out well for me.  Sometimes there might be a couple pieces that didn't get rinsed/neutralized properly and develop some surface rust.  The rack-plated stuff has been hit and miss.  It was because I sent a few parts back for re-do that the big local plater decided they didn't want to do anymore 'hobby' plating for me.  Found another place, which has since gone out of business, that would do only rack plating.  They were cheap and quick, but the zinc they did was the trivalent plating where everything came out with a lot of bluish hues.  I found I could cut that down with steel wool and chrome polish, but was a bit annoying.

Bossbill:
I have my plating station set up -- just need chemicals.
I bought the Caswell NSP-2050 on closeout, the buckets at the Depot, the metal rack I stole from the wife's plant nursery and I secured a manual. I have an enclosed fish tank heater, bubble-rator, clips, wire plus a copper attachment bar too. The rack is the return path.

I'm ready to buy the Caswell products.
I'll need zinc plate, the Copy Cad, brightener and zinc dichromate. And gallons of distilled water. Some have suggested a 2.5-5% muratic acid bath prior to dichromate. Anything other products? I can't think of anything ...

Since I have everything except chemical and the plate I have no use for a "kit".

But I do wonder if their "Zinc and CopyCad anode" is anything special? They want $25 for a 4x8 piece of what I believe is just 99.5 pure zinc. I can get two or three plates for $25 elsewhere.

Any help here? Is it just pure zinc (or close)? How thick is your Caswell plate?

preaction:
I believe Jim Cowles advertises a Cadmium service.

Bossbill:
There's a lot of places I can send stuff to be plated -- by someone else.
I'm not interested in that.

All of the equipment above is for DIY in my shop.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version