1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1967 Shelby

1967 Shelby trunk lid - Steel Lined Version

<< < (2/3) > >>

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: Bossbill on October 04, 2017, 12:31:35 AM ---I noted a date code on the frame consistent with all the other sheet metal date codes on the car.
--- End quote ---

Ya the date being in the range of the other panels might be an issue.  Especially considering we're not likely to find another car int he 1300's with a steel lined trunk to compare with.  Guess your finding Feb and similar dates.  Of course they would not make one trunk lid with the steel liner so there would need to be other examples with the same or very similar dates on the liner if there were.

--- Quote from: Bossbill on October 04, 2017, 12:31:35 AM ---Off topic a bit. Does anyone know how Shelby did these metal/glass lids?
Did they pull a batch off the cars, grind off the edges and then insert the metal frame into a pre-built shell doing them only for the cars at hand? Or were the deck lids pre-built from Ford supplied metal frames in primer, glassed and then painted at LAX?
Did the cars come to Shelby without either the hood or trunk as a knock down?

--- End quote ---

Like the hoods and the 66 hoods Ford likely provided/sold the liners to the company making the fiberglass and steel parts. Saved time and labor.

Bossbill:
From what I've seen of these hybrid deck lids, the quality is rather poor.
I can see why the early car's hybrids and poor quality resulted in SA ditching these
suppliers and going to all fiberglass with other suppliers.

Thanks for the details. I tend to think I have a replacement.

67350#1242:
I'd like to comment on the style of trunk lid catch in the two pictures above.   There are 2 sets of holes - one set fixed and one set slotted on both of these examples.    I have noted that my 67 Shelby has the same style catch and haven't observed one on other regular Mustangs I've seen.  I know there were several variations.
Is it possible that Shelbys got a different style than regular production?   Comments/observations?
Thanks,  Kurt.

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: 67350#1242 on October 04, 2017, 01:39:48 PM ---I'd like to comment on the style of trunk lid catch in the two pictures above.   There are 2 sets of holes - one set fixed and one set slotted on both of these examples.    I have noted that my 67 Shelby has the same style catch and haven't observed one on other regular Mustangs I've seen.  I know there were several variations.
Is it possible that Shelbys got a different style than regular production?   Comments/observations?

--- End quote ---

They are found on unrestored Mustangs so you also find them from time to time IMHO on Shelby's  Don't know why the production difference in some other than possibly a second vendor. Nor do I know the purpose of the second pair of holes  though I know the subject has been asked and discussed over the years

Bossbill:
I found an original Shelby all glass decklid.

Buying original Shelby parts is not for the thin skinned or thin walleted!

Hopefully my steel/glass version can find a new home later after some boo-boos are repaired.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version