Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Drivetrain

C4 shift shaft seal replacement

<< < (2/3) > >>

Hipo giddyup:
 Yikes, I think I can handle it since I’ve done most everything else on these cars. Then again I am trying to get a quote from a very reliable automatic transmission shop locally. If they’re quite reasonable I’ll let the pros do it.  I forgot to mention I don’t have a lift so all of this will be done on my back which I’m not looking forward to.  I can always reassure my skills in the spring when I go to repaint the car myself.  ;)

6S280:
I did this exact repair myself for the first time last year. I concur with the advice from the others. I did mine with the car on jack stands. Did need a crows foot to get the nut on and off of the shifter shaft. While at it, I also replaced the O-ring on the dip stick tube. Good luck!

Hipo giddyup:
So the trans shop quoted me $180 to change the seal, which of course includes filter and pan gasket and new fluid. I’m opting to do this myself and will reply back with the outcome. Hopefully adding a few pics as to what is involved.

67gtasanjose:

--- Quote from: Hipo giddyup on November 21, 2017, 10:57:35 PM ---So the trans shop quoted me $180 to change the seal, which of course includes filter and pan gasket and new fluid. I’m opting to do this myself and will reply back with the outcome. Hopefully adding a few pics as to what is involved.

--- End quote ---

Sounds like a quote of about $125 in labor. As a repair shop owner, this sounds like they are estimating approx. 1.5 Hrs., a reasonable quote for the job.

Hipo giddyup:
This shop is very well liked in the area with great reviews. I've been thinking that $180.00 could fund other desirables I need on the car. Plus I'm getting a free educational class out of doing it myself.  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version