Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Processes, Products & Techniques

Factory Wire Harness Wrap Process

<< < (2/3) > >>

carlite65:
i believe the company name is at the start of the video.

Bob Gaines:
FYI the machine is much much faster but not necessarily much better then what you can do by hand given the correct tape etc.

Bossbill:
Bob -- I was thinking of this from a production point of view. You guys have drilled into me to look at everything on the concours front from "how did the factory do it?" That applies to vendors too.
If the factory is churning out a car a minute in just 12 hours that's 720 cars -- for one plant.
That's a lot of harnesses and doing them by hand doesn't seem plausible even with multiple vendors.

I've gone through a lot of wrap to get a consistent pattern and have it look original.

I'd like to thank the PO who decided to spray bomb certain colors onto the harness. You just can't get it out of the crevices without really getting aggressive on the thinner -- which tends to soften the wrap.

And one more shout out to Midlife for getting me the Ford connectors I needed. I'll rant about the idiocy of SA using Scotchloks and where they put them in another thread.

J_Speegle:
I can at least state that the sub we found and visited in the late 60's was doing the looms they were assembling by hand.  They were fairly short (maybe 6 foot in length)  and I have no way of knowing if there were another 50 or another 400 little places doing the same loom as they were .

midlife:
All righty now!  Who wants to buy me the wrapping machine and a good supply of non-adhesive tape to support all you guys?

I didn't think so...dang.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version