1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1966 Mustang

Found etchings on my radiator support- 66 NJ Oct 65 - K Code

<< < (6/6)

CharlesTurner:

--- Quote from: sgl66 on August 06, 2020, 09:38:17 PM ---I pulled my front valence to fix a little ding and as usual, one thing led to another so tonight I decided to see what was under the paint. Instead of 63A, I have FB etched into the metal on the passenger side. The driver side could be PI or some variant.

--- End quote ---

Probably F8 for the interior code?

sgl66:

--- Quote from: CharlesTurner on August 08, 2020, 05:19:28 PM ---Probably F8 for the interior code?

--- End quote ---
Don’t think so, it’s a black interior car, 26 code. Also an interior color code would have been painted over long before it made it to interior paint. Definitely would make sense going down the line to know if it’s a 63A or Fastback (FB) - or coupe or convertible - to know what parts to weld on.

Looks like another example of Metuchen being consistently inconsistent.

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: sgl66 on August 09, 2020, 03:49:16 PM ---Don’t think so, it’s a black interior car, 26 code. Also an interior color code would have been painted over long before it made it to interior paint. ..............

--- End quote ---

Interior paint would have been the first paint applied to the unibody after primer sealers and primer surfacers. Before exterior/trunk or engine compartment paint applications

sgl66:

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on August 09, 2020, 03:56:00 PM ---Interior paint would have been the first paint applied to the unibody after primer sealers and primer surfacers. Before exterior/trunk or engine compartment paint applications

--- End quote ---
Going a little off topic maybe but out of curiosity, was the radiator support sprayed with primer/sealer before making it to interior paint or was it left bare metal?

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: sgl66 on August 09, 2020, 09:51:58 PM ---Going a little off topic maybe but out of curiosity, was the radiator support sprayed with primer/sealer before making it to interior paint or was it left bare metal?

--- End quote ---

Depended on the worker how far up the radiator support and other panels up front they applied the primer sealer to. There are examples where the pocket created with the hood bumper brackets were not fully covered inside with the black and they often rusted fairly quickly due to the shadow (if the painter passed the spray gun only from above ) the bracket created and the primer guy didn't coat much above the front cross member as he applied primer to the front frame rails. in many examples the primer (overspray and all) may have only traveled half way up the face

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version