Author Topic: 1969 "F" body Cruise control mystery part  (Read 644 times)

Offline merccougbird

1969 "F" body Cruise control mystery part
« on: December 09, 2018, 02:22:22 PM »
I have a question that no one seems to be able to help me with.  I have tried numerous Cougar aficionados, West Coast Classic Cougar and even written to Ford Motor Co. ( they referred me to my local L-M dealership ( ! ) no luck / help there, obviously after nearly 50 years ! ).  I have a small plastic part which is in the blue stripe vacuum line running from the manifold to the Cruise control regulator it looks like a one-way vacuum valve, but it's not metal like all the others ( cruise, tilt wheel, hidden headlights or A/C all have these one way cast grey metal valves in the lines somewhere ).  It is NOT a valve, as it doesn't restrict vacuum / air in either direction, but it has two internal 'baffles'.  It is entirely made of clear plastic ( now darkened with age ) with an inlet and an outlet nipple, offset from each other, on opposite sides.  I have attached some images, including the reprint page from the Jim Osborne Chassis manual, clearly showing the part, but no basic number attached to it ( unlike EVERTHING else in the cruise set-up ).  I suspect it is a water trap, to prevent condensed vapors ( when the engine cools and condensed moisture forms in the manifold ? ) from being sucked into the cruise regulator, which is mounted on the passenger backside of the shock tower. Any members know if that is it's function and most importantly what is it's part number ?  I looked through every part number in the cruise control section of the L-M MPC and cannot find anything related to this 'mystery part' !
Thanks for any help / suggestions, Regards, Gord

Offline 67gta289

Re: 1969 "F" body Cruise control mystery part
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 05:13:18 PM »
I’m thinking more of a vacuum time delay valve.  Something that acts as like a capacitor in an electrical circuit.   Is one side the manifold vacuum source?  What is the other side connected to?
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 70cj428

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 12:01:20 PM »
That or a filter to prevent fuel vapors from backing up into the system a times of low vacuum (full throttle).   Just a guess, John

Offline C6ZZGT

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 02:34:22 AM »
Do both hoses attached to it have the same stripe color ? It is possible that thing is/was never available by itself but only with the hose as an assm.
Brian
66 GT Coupe 6R07A143871 owned since 1983
40+ yr parts man , over 25 with Ford.

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 12:21:58 PM »
I have seen that part before, I think it is specific to 1969 speed control.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A