Author Topic: Painting Door Grain  (Read 2433 times)

Offline Tiny

Painting Door Grain
« on: December 11, 2018, 04:43:40 PM »
Looking for some advice on painting the inside door grain on my 66 Coupe.  Currently the actual door color is Springtime Yellow whilst the interior is black.  I noticed that neither has no undercoat/primer, just the color.  I assume this is because putting too many layers will hide the grain.  I want to maximize the look of the grain as much as possible when I repaint.  Any hints on the best way to achieve this when laying down the paint.
Thanks
67 San Jose Built GTA 390 Coupe
C6, PS, A/C

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Painting Door Grain
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 04:49:52 PM »
A light coat of DP90 primer, followed by a coat of correct black.  Stay within the recommended topcoat time for the base primer for max adhesion.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 07:09:56 PM »
Strip all the old paint off the door interior first with a chemical stripper. Use a plastic scrubber (a dish washer type) to remove the deeper old paint. Gloves are a must. Do not use sandpaper, a wire wheel or steel wool. In other words, get it to factory level, then prime as Charles indicated.
(Same color combinations as my 66 Hardtop "driver".)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Tiny

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 08:25:05 PM »
Thanks guys much appreciated.  I'll have to search for the DP90 Primer as I cant seem to locate the product in Australia.  Not sure if there is an equivalent product I can use.

Thanks Again
C6, PS, A/C

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 09:53:42 PM »
Thanks guys much appreciated.  I'll have to search for the DP90 Primer as I cant seem to locate the product in Australia.  Not sure if there is an equivalent product I can use.

Thanks Again

It's an epoxy primer.  Check with a local auto paint supply store and ask them for a recommendation of something comparable.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline petersixtfive

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 03:29:10 AM »
Tiny
Where in Australia are you located
There is a couple of options for black primer but not from PPG
Cheers
Peter
65 SJ GT fastback June 65 Build

Offline Tiny

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 02:40:59 PM »
Hi Peter I am located in Melbourne Australia
C6, PS, A/C

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 08:18:23 PM »
Peter, use a standard etch primer as they bind strongly to the metal and are a very thin coat, which doesn't fill the grain. Use a black primer, as your top coats will be thin and this helps build the color. The best paint for door grain is an acrylic laquer as you lay it down with lots of very light coats and that also stops the grain filling with paint and with doors, you are aiming more for a 'cosmtetic' rather than 'protective' paint job. That means that the paint doesn't go on heavy as you are aiming for good looks.

As everyone has said, preparation is the key and you need to remove all the paint from the door panels as that will dictate what the final look is going to be. If you have any surface rust underneath the paint, then rubbing with scotchbrite will clean it up without damaging the grain.
Brad

Offline Tiny

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 08:38:05 PM »
Thanks Brad, great advice.  I'll post some pictures once I paint the doors.

Cheers
C6, PS, A/C

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 08:47:25 PM »
Pay very close attention to the recoat time on the primer.
You must paint a top coat within this recoat time or some tell you to scuff the primer.
You don't want to do that or you will lose some of the crispness of the metal grain.

Have everything ready and spray the top/color coat within the window.

Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 01:58:40 PM »
This may or may not be obvious, but be sure to use a compatible primer with the lacquer....you don't want it to start lifting or wrinkling. Maybe perform a test on a separate panel???
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967