Author Topic: Lower Control Arms 1965 - 1973  (Read 10037 times)

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
Re: Lower Control Arms 1965 - 1973
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2019, 01:11:24 PM »
Concerning the "date codes" on the lower control arms...
  My Aug 65 coupes lower arms are stamped 64. Both of my June 65 built cars are marked F5 . This is a pattern that I have seen on the unrestored cars that I have actively looked for the marks. I was unable to see them on either of the unrestored cars I judged in Fredericksburg this weekend as they were to dirty .
  My take is the 64 is a year code and was changed later to a month/year code.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2019, 01:18:36 PM »
Phil...from what I see now and my research the domed rivets are what was originally on the 65/66 cars.
If you look at that closer the actual rivets are all the same from 65 to 73.  The only thing that changed is the tooling to compress the rivets.  They started using a different tooling to compress the rivets starting in 1968 time frame and then all the service parts that Ford was selling had the same waffle pattern on them as well.  Thats why you find the C4 service control arms now with a waffle pattern and C7 boots.

Bill...pictures you posed are the C4 (65/66) control arm?

Marcus -- sorry I should have been clearer so I updated my post to add that this is my 3/2/67 Shelby.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2019, 03:37:59 PM »
Phil...from what I see now and my research the domed rivets are what was originally on the 65/66 cars.
If you look at that closer the actual rivets are all the same from 65 to 73.  The only thing that changed is the tooling to compress the rivets.  They started using a different tooling to compress the rivets starting in 1968 time frame and then all the service parts that Ford was selling had the same waffle pattern on them as well.  Thats why you find the C4 service control arms now with a waffle pattern and C7 boots.

Bill...pictures you posed are the C4 (65/66) control arm?
The 65-67 typically used the domed rivet on the assemblyline from what i have observed over the years. Later service replacement LCA had the waffle pattern on the 65-67 arms.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2019, 12:41:26 AM »
Mike - Its hard to say that the stampings on the lower control arms are really date codes especially in the later years.   Havent seen anything that makes sense.  Maybe the early years you were looking at makes more sense but I see the same stampings in later years as well.

Bill - thanks those pictures match up to exactly what we are seeing.

Bob - agree and see the same thing. 

Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline 69bossnut

• DSD Restorations LLC
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2019, 05:58:29 AM »
Predominately you see the rounded rivet on the 68 lower arms as well. The majority of the 68 arms I did had the smooth domed rivet. I know there was a transition at some time late 68 because I have yet to see a 69 original lower arm with the smooth dome. Have only seen the waffle pattern on 69 arms. If you look closely there is a difference in the 65/66 smooth dome versus the 67/68 smooth dome as well. The jack tabs on 67/70 arms also vary a little. Some have the small tit sticking out & some have a less predominant wider section sticking out is the best I can explain it. Seems like the skinny tit is more 67 from what I remember, Just my observations.
DAVID DAVIS
DSD RESTORATIONS LLC
5075 E. COUNTY RD. 126
BLYTHEVILLE, AR. 72315
870-780-4999
dsdresto@gmail.com
www.dsdrestoration.com

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2019, 09:18:03 PM »
Thanks...good input David.
I did look at the unrestored June 68 built car I have here and it has rounded rivets on it so I will make an edit in what I wrote to accommodate a later transition. 

Also, I suppose I can add pictures of small tits and skinny tits as you say in your description....seems people may enjoy that. :o
Marcus Anghel

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2019, 06:31:19 PM »

Took me a few days to get back to this thread.  I did a Google image search on "small tits" and just realized there is alot of photos not related to automotive. 

For the sake of not having others go down the same dark path will just call these tabs.  Photo here I think is what we are talking about.  Its hard to include these in the write up I have done because there is no clear time I can nail down when one or the other was used but there is two versions.  This photo here shows two original control arms and both are the 67 Mustang version. 

20190919_163823 by Marcus Anghel, on Flickr
Marcus Anghel

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2019, 05:13:04 PM »
Uploaded a new version here with a link at the beginning of the thread, and below as well. 

Version 1.3
Progressions of jacking tabs in 65/66.
Ball joint retainers for 65/66 - made it more clear the flat style came on earlier cars.
Correct part number for 68/69.

http://anghelrestorations.com/uploads/3/5/1/2/35122002/65_to_73_suspension_guide_v1.5aa.pdf
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 05:48:23 PM by Anghelrestorations »
Marcus Anghel

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2019, 11:02:26 PM »
 What a  great job. Do you have evidence to support the use of the red safety dye on the grease plugs used prior to 1968?  I ask because the numerous early service NOS 65-67 arms that I have had over the years did not have the red safety dye used on the grease plugs of those years.I have not seen any evidence of that on survivor examples that I have seen over the years even though that dye wasn't meant to last long . Sometimes I have found the dye on the threads of the later year control arm that confirmed its existence on those later versions years after the dye had disappeared on the outside surface. I have not found any on the threads of early arms. Maybe others have?.   FYI there are various other fasteners that used the safety dye in later 68 up that were not used on similar areas in 65-67. Maybe some later made service arms had the red dye but I don't think the assemblyline 65-67 ones did. Let me know your thoughts. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2019, 04:33:15 AM »
I haven't seen any evidence of the red dye on the earlier years. Agree that 68 was the year they expanded (greatly) the toque checks on so many things. Even published a flyer/booklet that was given to the workers to support than expectations and the changes. Believe a picture of the cover at least was posted earlier in another thread
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2019, 01:31:07 PM »
Thanks Bob for the input.  I will need to look thru my photos....but from what I remember I restored a set of original control arms from a 65 K code convertible and those were all original and had red dye on the plugs.  The red dye you can see when you unscrew them and see it on the threads and back side of the plug.  I will need to confirm, and can post pictures when I find it.  Im traveling now so when I get back will look for that.

Jeff - what flyer/booklet are you referencing exactly?  Do we have that thread here somewhere on the forum? 
Marcus Anghel

Offline JohnRB

• 0F03R120303
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2019, 01:54:09 PM »
Thanks Bob for the input.  I will need to look thru my photos....but from what I remember I restored a set of original control arms from a 65 K code convertible and those were all original and had red dye on the plugs.  The red dye you can see when you unscrew them and see it on the threads and back side of the plug.  I will need to confirm, and can post pictures when I find it.  Im traveling now so when I get back will look for that.

Jeff - what flyer/booklet are you referencing exactly?  Do we have that thread here somewhere on the forum?

Marcus

Is there a small error on page 8? Read the text in the lower right corner.

John

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2019, 05:10:07 PM »

Believe it was a in house "news" thing they produced at each plant. Believe it was a special edition and it was related to some new standards/expectations including some new markings on the assembly manuals and inspection forms used in each plant.

Don't think we've posted copies or had a specific discussion about the changes or push for 68 production
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2019, 05:56:08 PM »
John - Your right page 8 is a mistake.  i will correct that on the next version as I add more material.

Jeff - The 68 changes we are talking about here would be interesting to expand on if we have enough information...maybe in a different thread.  Would like to explore that a bit more espcially how it relates to this discussion here.
Marcus Anghel

Offline JohnRB

• 0F03R120303
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2019, 04:58:32 PM »
Found this today. Not seen these types before! Came from a 66 Shelby, but do not know if they are originals or not. Both have the C5 rubber.