Author Topic: What is the "other" seam sealer on a 67 San Jose car?  (Read 1030 times)

Offline roddster

What is the "other" seam sealer on a 67 San Jose car?
« on: September 12, 2019, 12:10:50 PM »
  Here is why I'm asking.  I searched, and I looked back 12 pages and must have missed this.  OK, I know to use Sludge on the inside of the quarter panels as per the numerous posts and photos from Jeff.
   Then there is are panel seams; I.E. the tail light panel, the seam along the bottom inside the trunk below the tail lights from side-to-side.  The factory dtuff is yellow/tan-ish colored.  Also seems the same sealer is used where the quarter panels and seamed.  It is still soft after all there years.  67 GTA built in November of 66 at San Jose plant
  So, what is that sealer?  Thank you

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: What is the "other" seam sealer on a 67 San Jose car?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 02:43:26 PM »
Since the seam sealer your referring to is unseen in just about all of the locations most don't worry about the color of the chalking. IF you use something that remains too flexible over time then you run the risk of bumping the top surface, cracking and flaking the paint and creating a need for repair- like what happened to the original. But if you choice to go that route I've used a non-textured (read no grit in the material) smooth chalking product available by DAP

For a harder finished product the Sludge can be pipped into the same locations then dressed as if it were the same product. Will produce a harder finished product and a different color. Does produce a dark color for use inside the car if you wish.

Thought of posting the original material number but that would do little good 50 years later
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)