Author Topic: 1969-1970 Windshield Washer Nozzles  (Read 658 times)

Offline sah62

• Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
1969-1970 Windshield Washer Nozzles
« on: October 20, 2019, 11:05:57 AM »
I have two original sets. They're both in nice, undamaged condition, but they need to be re-plated (gold cad or zinc dichromate, I think) to look like new. $20/per set plus shipping. Note that this style was used in the early part of the 1970 model year, but they're not factory correct for later cars. These have two nozzle holes whereas the later 1970 version has one hole.
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 Calypso Coral R-Code Mach 1 (10/69 T)
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline jwc66k

Re: 1969-1970 Windshield Washer Nozzles
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 12:44:59 PM »
Be advised that the temperature required to replate might cause the solder connecting the two pieces to come loose. They may separate, they may move but still be connected, or nothing may happen. I had all three conditions on some that I had replated.
Jim
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 02:30:33 PM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 07:26:58 PM »
Be advised that the temperature required to replate might cause the solder connecting the two pieces to come loose. They may separate, they may move but still be connected, or nothing may happen. I had all three conditions on some that I had replated.
Jim
Sorry to hear of your bad experience. Of course there are different ways to plate those nozzles. I am not aware of a plating process that would involve temperatures close to the melting point of solder.  For instance I have replated a number of the washer squinter nozzles in zinc and zinc dichromate at room temperature and they come out looking like expected for a assemblyline piece.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 12:25:10 AM »
Sorry to hear of your bad experience.
It's part of the learning experience. I also have a technical background in soldering zinc plated componet housings to be watertight that were used in early ballistic missile submarines.
I am not aware of a plating process that would involve temperatures close to the melting point of solder.
My plating shop is Mil-Spec qualified, and does plating for many hi-tech companies in Silicon Valley. Us "car guys" get squeezed in because the father (the founder of the business) has a 67 hardtop and a 2016 GT, making him car friendly.
For instance I have replated a number of the washer squinter nozzles in zinc and zinc dichromate at room temperature and they come out looking like expected for a assemblyline piece.
Cold temperature zinc plating doesn't really last or look good up close.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 12:45:51 AM »
It's part of the learning experience. I also have a technical background in soldering zinc plated componet housings to be watertight that were used in early ballistic missile submarines.My plating shop is Mil-Spec qualified, and does plating for many hi-tech companies in Silicon Valley. Us "car guys" get squeezed in because the father (the founder of the business) has a 67 hardtop and a 2016 GT, making him car friendly.Cold temperature zinc plating doesn't really last or look good up close.
Jim
Your right on the cold temperature zinc plating not looking as good as other commercial process's. The good news is that once the Zinc dichromate process is done it looks fine . For those reading the Zinc dichromate needs a base coat of zinc to stick to.  I think around 170 degrees is as hot as any of the typical commercial platers tanks get. Good to know that is far below the melting point of solder. For years I had parts done at typical commercial platers and never had a problem with soldered joints.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby