Author Topic: NOS instrument bezel  (Read 1544 times)

Offline ruppstang

NOS instrument bezel
« on: November 08, 2019, 09:22:45 AM »
I have a 68 NOS instrument bezel that the chrome plating seems to have a gold tint to it. Has anyone seen that and is there anything that can be done to remove it without damaging the chrome plating.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: NOS instrument bezel
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 03:30:09 PM »
Yes, I sold off one a year or two back. Gold tint from AGE I thought.

No ideas for getting the Gold off, try asking Tim is he knows of any way.

Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 05:53:58 PM »
Have you tried a vigorous rubbing with a cloth diaper?  That works well on chrome materials to get that extra-bit of shine while removing oils and such.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 06:13:23 PM »
I try some things on the bottom and see what happens. I guess I really have nothing to loose.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 06:33:47 PM »
I try some things on the bottom and see what happens. I guess I really have nothing to loose.
It is done IMO. I'll wish you the best but expect the worst. Like you said you have nothing to lose.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 06:38:20 PM »
The gold tint IMHO is an affect of age and or a thin coat of the top "plating" Remember that allot of NOS parts available now and for a number of decades are ones that others passed over in the past and were just tossed back on the shelf. On many of these the base material is an off white yellow colored product so its possibly starting to wear or show through

It was not unusual for many of us to go to Ford in the 80's and go through a dozen or more of just about any part - pick out a nice one and leave the damaged, box worn, defected or ones with other issues. Sometimes there is a reason why the parts are still in the box rather than on a car.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 10:46:34 PM »
It is done IMO. I'll wish you the best but expect the worst. Like you said you have nothing to lose.

Not surprising Bob you were right there was nothing I could do to improve it's appearance. :(

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 10:48:38 PM »
Not surprising Bob you were right there was nothing I could do to improve it's appearance. :(

Other than replating  ::) though you might as well used a well used one for that process in many cases
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)