Author Topic: should I replace or paint the kick panels?  (Read 2127 times)

Offline palacekeeper

should I replace or paint the kick panels?
« on: November 11, 2019, 02:06:33 PM »
NPD has some kick panels by Daniel Carpenter that I hear are very good reproductions:

https://www.npdlink.com/product/kick-panel-69-70-black-best-repro/137961

My kick panels in my 1970 Mach 1 are physically in good shape but are scratched and worn looking in appearance.

Should I just repaint the originals, and if so, what type of paint (black) should I use?

OR, should I just buy the ones from NPD and replace them?

Just looking for recommendations, thanks!
1970 Mustang Mach 1, Grabber Blue
351C 4V M-code, Non A/C
Built at Metuchen
Build Date: December 19, 1969
Dealer: 21A461 Whaley-Dailey Ford Sales, Conyers, GA

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: should I replace or paint the kick panels?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 05:29:38 PM »
Since you state that yours are scratched I would replace them and put the originals on the shelf 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline palacekeeper

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 09:22:07 AM »
Thanks Jeff.

As far as painting interior plastic components like this, is there a specific recommended paint that folks use? Or is that not generally done? The rear interior quarter panels could also use some attention, but when I was looking around it looks like there might not be any decent repros out there for those.
351C 4V M-code, Non A/C
Built at Metuchen

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 09:55:12 AM »
paint won't fix scratches. i have use SEM vinyl dye successfully in the past. it can be color matched to your needs.
5F09C331248

Offline palacekeeper

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 11:01:58 AM »
Thanks I'll check it out. Looks like SEM carries quite a few different types of products. Did you use the one called SEM Color Coat?
351C 4V M-code, Non A/C
Built at Metuchen

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 11:04:17 AM »
honestly do not remember.......talk to your paint supplier & see what he says.
5F09C331248

Offline palacekeeper

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 12:37:16 PM »
okay thanks
351C 4V M-code, Non A/C
Built at Metuchen

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 05:30:03 PM »
Thanks Jeff.

As far as painting interior plastic components like this, is there a specific recommended paint that folks use? Or is that not generally done? The rear interior quarter panels could also use some attention, but when I was looking around it looks like there might not be any decent repros out there for those.

Since they were originally not painted it can be difficult since your looking for a product that is shinier than interior paints. Interior paints are typically a low gloss or egg shell.
So a completely different product that other interior items that would be a different color and gloss. Just as a reminder - if you have a "black" interior, remember its not black ;) but dark charcoal

Might want to explore something like Krylon gloss for plastic and give it a try if your not going to replace them
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CandyAppleRed

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 06:26:38 AM »
a few months agon, I was facing the same dilema regarding my original kickpanels. Replacing them by repro was not an option, finding NOS ones was very challenging and repainting them was not a satisfying solution, because of the color matching issues adressed by Jeff.

This is how I restored my original kickpanels:

1) thoroughly wash the kickpanel with soapy water and a soft brush. Take time and try to get as much dirt out of the texture as you can.
2) with a heat gun, restore the texture and remove the scratches. The heat will meltdown most of the shavings that makes scratches on plastic parts visible. Be careful with heat and plastic.
3) treat the kickpanel with a precleaner and exterior trim restorer. I used "Pre-Wow Precleaner" and "Black Wow"

these products obviously work only on black kickpanel, since the original applictation is the restoration of black exterior trim, like plastic bumper.

Here is the result:

Laurent

1967 Fastback 390 GTA Dearborn May 67 7F02S201072 (stolen)
1967 Fastback 390 GT San Jose Nov 66

Offline palacekeeper

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 02:28:51 PM »
thanks everyone, for the additional info. I found that both NPD and WCC have the same Daniel Carpenter repros, which appear to be the best out there for my car. I ordered them from NPD and they arrive today. In the meantime, and when i get bored this winter, I'll try the steps that CandyApple provided on the originals. I've seen the heat gun videos before - no room for error but does appear to work.

I have a few scratches on the interior quarter panels also, where the arm rests are. I may try my luck on those as well but I don't want to mess up the originals. I might get a used panel somewhere to practice on.

Does anyone know if those inside quarter panels are available anywhere concours? Or where I might find the best possible repros, for future consideration?

thx,
351C 4V M-code, Non A/C
Built at Metuchen

Offline palacekeeper

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2019, 05:34:45 PM »
I received the Daniel Carpenter repros from NPD and they are pretty nice. The finish is more of a matte than the original, which appears to be the main difference. In case anyone is interested, here is a picture of the original and the Daniel Carpenter repro, side by side (both sides). The original part is glossier and obviously, more worn.
351C 4V M-code, Non A/C
Built at Metuchen

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2019, 06:36:31 PM »
How does the repro look/match at the sill plate ?  The repro seems to have a different configuration at that edge ?  Picture is of my original.  I would clean up the originals maybe try some spray vinyl dye using a small paint brush to even out the color ?  I prefer using the originals over the repros if/when possible.  Brian
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 10:20:37 PM by Brian Conway »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline palacekeeper

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2019, 12:13:42 PM »
My plan is to use the repros for now, because I had a lot of other interior work done, including carpet, seat covers, door panels, headliner - and the kick panels stick out now, showing their wear. I'll work on cleaning up and repairing the originals with the intent of putting them back in the car if I can get them looking good enough. Do you happen to know a specific spray vinyl dye to use that would match my black interior (factory color)? Someone mentioned SEM earlier but there are hundreds of products and I'm colorblind which doesn't help!

Here is a pic of how the repro looks at the moment, but i need to straighten the carpet a bit.

Note: The picture was uploaded facing the correct way, but for some reason it posted sideways. Not sure how to fix that.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 12:16:29 PM by palacekeeper »
351C 4V M-code, Non A/C
Built at Metuchen

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2019, 12:32:30 PM »
SEM vinyl dye can be color mixed to match your application. you need to find a local supplier who can do that task.
5F09C331248

Offline palacekeeper

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2019, 02:07:13 PM »
ahh ok, got it. thanks
351C 4V M-code, Non A/C
Built at Metuchen