Author Topic: Trunk Weatherstrip  (Read 1544 times)

Offline brcron007

• Always 1 more detail ! ;)
Trunk Weatherstrip
« on: November 20, 2019, 12:57:46 PM »
I know that there are several topics on this. But, I wanted to ask a specific question I haven't seen addressed or I missed when I read through the prior posts. What would be the safest method to remove original trunk and door weatherstripping so it can be reinstalled. Given all the poor quality duplicates made. Given it's a 1969 cougar the original door weatherstrips and the trunk weatherstrip are in excellent condition and still soft and pliable and good enough to reuse. What have the pro's (Mr Speegle or Mr. Gaines  ;)  )  done to remove and re-use. Thanks for your insight. Ron
1969 Mercury Cougar XR-7 428 CJ R-code, Dearborn assembled on January 20, 1969-Marty report 3 Days ahead of schedule. Door tag says the 23rd. I have a time machine, PS, PDB, C-6 automatic-added factory AC, Tilt-Away, intermmitant wipers Have a complete 69 cougar factory electric sunroof avail.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Trunk Weatherstrip
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 03:59:52 PM »
If they don't rip or there is not rot you can give it a try though they never seem to be perfect after all these years. Going to take a long time with multiple tools (scalpels, razor blades, nylon depressors and what ever you can think of to make the task better - not always easier. Done it a few times - not always with great success.  Maybe someone else will have more ideas and help.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 07:46:35 PM »
Don't have any tips but do have some experience.  I replaced the original door lower WS on my 69 a while back.  Really did not want to but the lower portion, mostly at the radius areas, was rotting away.  So reluctantly I removed them, both doors, one came away mostly in tact the other in pieces.  The good news is I used the 69-70 Daniel Carpenter Door Weatherstripping C9ZZ-6520530 and was actually pleased with the results.  FWIW. Brian
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 10:06:26 PM by Brian Conway »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline brcron007

• Always 1 more detail ! ;)
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 09:42:45 PM »
Hi guys, Thank you for sharing your experiences. I appreciate it.

1969 Mercury Cougar XR-7 428 CJ R-code, Dearborn assembled on January 20, 1969-Marty report 3 Days ahead of schedule. Door tag says the 23rd. I have a time machine, PS, PDB, C-6 automatic-added factory AC, Tilt-Away, intermmitant wipers Have a complete 69 cougar factory electric sunroof avail.

Online AJ

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 02:41:29 PM »
Before I removed my trunk seal and rear glass sea!,  I repeatedly applied Zymol seal conditioner to them for a week or so.  I tried to keep them saturated and it seemed to have softened them up.  I was able to remove both without damage.  Don't know how much the Zymol contributed to my success but seems to penetrate and restore the p!liability to some degree. 

Unknown if the residual Zymol will impede adhesion during reinstall but will try to solvent wipe away at that time.
Adrian Jacobs
70 Boss 302  Dearborn, 11/22/69, original calypso paint,  original family ownership.
70 GT500 , 02/26/69, a/c auto, candy red