Author Topic: 68 GT Door Speakers  (Read 16584 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 68 GT Door Speakers
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 10:41:27 PM »
Let's see if I can muddy the waters even more.....What speaker system - and grilles - were used if you had a dealer installed underdash 8-track player for a 67-68? 

Can't remember the instructions for the 67-68 underdash (have had the 66 version)  but believe it showed the extra speaker(s) being added to the rear package tray (or side quarter panel on a fastback) 

Kits were available this sort of installation
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 11:16:06 PM »
sounds legit.  do the speaker holes look punched?  another thing to look at are the grille mouting holes.  factory ones are square knockouts with a plastic snap in insert.  if you don't have these and the doors are original they were added after the car left the factory.  john
I have a SJ 67 Convertable w/ deluxe interior build date Nov. 4 1966. It does not have the plastic inserts. I also have seen another 67 that had a early build date that did not have the inserts either. All of the 68 I have seen had them. Marty

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 10:26:49 AM »
For what it's worth, my Dec 66 SJ had the inserts on both doors, and they are original.  Pulling out the plastic inserts reveal square punched holes.  The courtesy lamp hole was also punched.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 11:55:45 PM »
That's interesting looks like the change may have happend at SJ between our build dates. All I have seen had the courtesy light hole punched. Has anyone seen a speaker hole that was punched?

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 09:22:45 AM »
I found someone on another forum who posted their Marti report that showed a factory optioned AM-FM radio. He took this picture for me. It looks like the holes for the speakers were not punched but cut with some kind of mill?

Offline yelostang

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 02:08:30 PM »
Several years ago got a 67 cvt from a house garage sale. Truly an odd ball car, it was a 3 spd 6 cyl manual top car.Only equip on car was an 8track and it was factory, The sparse Metuchen bucktag read  special paint( it had been silver metallic), stereo, no tint, top code. It also had door grilles. Car had no title and was in very  bad shape. Sold it but kept the door grilles. The 8 track was so pitted it was no good. Those grilles had never been off the doors.  The only stamped holes were for speakers which were crumbled. There were wires in doors, NO holes for lights. There was a splash of black paint to conceal the light hole in the door grill

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2011, 11:54:27 AM »
I believe Bob G or Tim L posted that a 68 with either AM/FM or AM/8 Track received door speakers. I have a large format (11x17 at least) original Ford wiring and vacuum schematic binder I got out of an old dealership. On the page pertaining to radio wiring it only shows the AM/8 track as being stereo and having door speakers. It does not refer to the AM/FM radio as being stereo. That brings up a question for Bob since I know he is the Shelby judge. In 68 all Shelby's received the deluxe interior. With that deluxe interior came the lower door grilles. I saw a eBay listing for a 68 GT500 which had an attached Marti report that showed just an Am radio. Does this mean this particular Shelby would have had the door lights but no speaker cutout?

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2011, 02:49:55 PM »
Well I looked in the shop manual and it does list that a am/fm or a am/ fm stereo ( does not list any difference in identification numbers above for two different Bendix am/fm radios) came with door speakers. Two different ford publications with a conflict.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2011, 09:30:47 PM »
The large format wiring and vacuum diagrams are not all-encompassing.  In fact, I looked through all of my 68-73 versions and could not find a single example of an AM/FM wiring diagram for a Mustang.  These books were used as guides for the technicians for trouble-shooting and basic diagnosis, not for manufacturing or assembly.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2011, 11:30:32 PM »
Midlife the source I am looking at is 1968 Wiring and Vacuum Diagrams vol. 68 S4 Form 7795 P-68, upper rh corner of cover reads Courses 13001 and 1760. In Section 2. Mustang Electrical page 2-E14 there are two drivers side, side views. Top view shows under dash wiring harness with wiring assy 14290 going to stater solenoid. It also shows single dash mounted speaker. This diagram is titled Radio Receiver (AM) & (FM). The solar side view below shows LH and RH door speakers. Intresting part is that main harness is called out as 19A041 & 14401. The speaker wiring is called out as 15629 Wiring Assy. This diagram is titled Radio Stereo Tape (AM).

Page 2-E15 is a side by side electrical schematic. LH schematic is the Am/Fm with one speaker while the RH schematic is for Am/Tape. Intresting thing is that in the side view diagram and the schematic for the AM/Tape the center dash speaker is omitted.

In an earlier post someone referenced possibly multiple harness arrangements with speakers but no lights, lights but no speakers, speakers and light. Well I am looking at the diagram which calls out separate speaker harness listed above and I am looking at a door light harness I have which only has a plug connection for the light at one end, a single bullet male black connector splaying off a black wire and female bullet connection. The second black wire has a grounding terminal.

By the way the pages in my binder are all dated 9-1-67. Hope this helps.

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2011, 11:44:49 PM »
Sorry the wiring harness has the bullet connectors coming off a black wire with blur stripe.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2011, 09:44:17 PM »
I have the same book.  My bad, I meant to have said I have not found the correct wiring diagrams for an AM/FM Stereo system.

A kind person sent me that sub-harness for me to reverse-engineer it and make a functional replacement for it, so if anyone wants the schematics, let me know.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2011, 09:56:47 PM »
I have the same manual as well. I looked at it today and see what you are saying. It seems to me that Ford may have not changed it from 67 where the AM-FM was mono and center speaker only. Marty

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2011, 10:37:14 PM »
Midlife I guess that's an intresting question, was there such a thing as a AM/FM Stereo radio in 68? There is a blurb in the radio section of the shop manual but its not clear as they also mention just AM/FM without the stereo. So I guess first we need to find out if all the AM/Fm radios in 68 were stereo. if they were then multiple speakers would have had to been installed. Most likely that would have been found on Shelby's as they were usually loaded with the goodies. Who can get Coral snake to chime in as i believe he has a lot of build sheets for 68 Shelby's.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2011, 10:49:09 PM »
I believe Bob G or Tim L posted that a 68 with either AM/FM or AM/8 Track received door speakers. I have a large format (11x17 at least) original Ford wiring and vacuum schematic binder I got out of an old dealership. On the page pertaining to radio wiring it only shows the AM/8 track as being stereo and having door speakers. It does not refer to the AM/FM radio as being stereo. That brings up a question for Bob since I know he is the Shelby judge. In 68 all Shelby's received the deluxe interior. With that deluxe interior came the lower door grilles. I saw a eBay listing for a 68 GT500 which had an attached Marti report that showed just an Am radio. Does this mean this particular Shelby would have had the door lights but no speaker cutout?
Not all 68 Shelby's received speaker cut outs. I believe it was a function of the particular option the car received . Not all Shelby's received the stereo speaker harness ether ,only the ones that received the AM FM Stereo and Am 8 track did. All 67 and 68 Shelby's had deluxe interiors and received the lower deluxe grills.If it was a AM car which most were it didn't get the speaker cut outs.The 67 AM FM radio was mono and in 68 it was stereo. I don't know why any 68 electrical manual would infer the AM FM was not stereo.  Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby