Author Topic: Front Bumper Arms and Retaining Hardware  (Read 1448 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Front Bumper Arms and Retaining Hardware
« on: October 21, 2020, 03:45:34 PM »
Since we currently (relative to the starting of this thread) have been discussing the method of attaching the front bumper to the uni-body at other plants in 1967 it's been asked that we start one covering what was done done at the Shelby plant for Shelby's that same year. On cars being converted the stock Mustang front bumper arms (tubular outside and stamped steel inner) were removed.  A pair were then installed in their place.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 04:36:07 PM by carlite65 »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Re: Front Bumper Arms and Retainign Hardware
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 04:18:02 PM »
Although in the first thread that started all of this I showed a pic from the Assy Manual on what should be done, as usual this was not always the case. The Assy Manual show a bolt, lock washer and flat washer. Jeff's pics of unrestored shows some with and some without the flat washer.

Moving on to the Shelbys, the stock main frame bracket is cut with additional stock welded to the end. New holes are also created. This is done to accommodate the longer fiberglass nose.
As well, the side bracket is also modified. Here SA simply cut off the tube and welded it further forward. See pics.

On my car the main frame bracket very closely matches the approximate date code of the other parts on the car. A date of 1 19 date for a first week of March car makes sense. Both sides appear to be original.

That said, the witness marks on the last-to-be-installed side bracket indicates no flat washer. This matches my tear-down sheet which indicates a bolt with lock washer only.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Front Bumper Arms and Retaining Hardware
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 05:57:37 PM »
Thanks for the  great pictures of the modifications. Totally overlooked the inner the inner brackets when I responded on the other thread late last night.  Now to look for pictures of the retaining hardware from unrestored examples - unfortunately allot less of those left alone by owners and shops
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 06:04:13 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 10:42:02 PM »
Even though this is not 68 Shelby thread I thought it relevant to mention that for 68 the inner bracket was modified the same but the outer had a extension welded on so that the tube didn't have to be cut off and re welded . All of the repro Shelby outer bumper brackets are made that way regardless of if for a 67 or a 68. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline S412gofast

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2022, 11:32:48 AM »
resurrecting thread

Looking for info on what is the correct retaining hardware for mounting front bumper supports to unibody
1967 GT350 01341, FORD Build: 2/28/67 ; SAI Build 3/28/67
1966 GT 2+2, 4spd, PS, tinted windows, Raven Black w/Black Pony interior; FORD Build: 10/11/65
1986 SVO, Oxford White w/Leather interior
1987 Saleen #132 Dark Gray Metallic

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2022, 12:47:07 PM »
The witness marks and my teardown sheet indicate a standard Mustang bumper to frame bolt with no washer.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2022, 01:41:18 AM »
Just gave a quick look through my pictures of unrestored 67 Shelby's and I found them both ways - with and without washers. Must report that in the pictures of the ones with washers all of the washers appear to be the same type, size and style. Not what one would expect if they were added by a PO or body shop.  Will collect and post hopefully tomorrow  so everyone can see, evaluate and discuss. 

Going to take some time going through approx 30K pictures ;)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 01:52:41 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2022, 03:59:54 PM »
Looking for info on what is the correct retaining hardware for mounting front bumper supports to unibody
Ask yourself this: do I want "what I found", or do I want "from the factory"?
Judging standards should be consistent.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2022, 07:19:26 PM »
After going through my picture collection ignoring restored examples as well as rebodies/recontructed cars and focusing  just on clear pictures from cars that appear to be undisturbed examples I found the vast majority of examples had a washer with each bolt that attached the front bumper brackets to the frame rail. There was one example #176x with out washers and two examples with large flat washers I don't believe are original and might be related to early damage or replacement for some unknown reason. Washer found were small dia thick washer as shown in some of the examples below . On cars where I had available pictures of both sides the hardware match from side to side and all four bolts or the example was not considered

Going to limit the pictures to a handful rather than showing of them unless someone feels that is needed

First example shows a regular San Jose 67 Mustang, its bracket and retaining bolts with washers and below 67 Shelby #173x

67 Shelbys #110x & a different #173x NOTE: This is one of the only ones were washers don't appear to be there. Did the worker loose the San Jose hardware with washer or did a worker at San Jose just make a mistake and in turn produced the results.  Either way it appears not to be typical or normal but had to share

67 Shelbys #145x

67 Shelbys #110x & a different #173x

67 Shelbys #184x & #250x

And lastly the washer, like the ones we find on 67 San Jose Mustangs were likely installed at San Jose as bumper brackets and bumpers were installed there right along side of the Mustangs and deliver that way to the Shelby plant. No reason for the workers to take the time to remove the washers IMHO while they swapped the support arms just easier and cheaper to reuse them.

Jeff Speegle

Offline S412gofast

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2022, 11:39:48 AM »
Thank you Jeff!  Great Pics!
1967 GT350 01341, FORD Build: 2/28/67 ; SAI Build 3/28/67
1966 GT 2+2, 4spd, PS, tinted windows, Raven Black w/Black Pony interior; FORD Build: 10/11/65
1986 SVO, Oxford White w/Leather interior
1987 Saleen #132 Dark Gray Metallic