Author Topic: Front Fender Lip Repair  (Read 2362 times)

Offline johnkn

Front Fender Lip Repair
« on: December 20, 2020, 01:15:14 PM »
Greetings, a shop replaced the front springs on my one of my cars to correct a nose-high attitude, unfortunately they installed the wrong springs at first which were WAY too low and proceeded to drive the car.    >:(      The front tires caught the top of the inner lip in a few places and pushed some up, some down etc. The damaged area is confined to the lip and is about 4" at the top of the curved fender lip.  The paint was not damaged.   I want to work to correct the damage and plan to use a heat gun in moderation to soften the paint,  is there a set of pliers or Vice Grips with lips in the approximate curve of the upper inner fender lip?   Obviously I would go super slow and try to persuade the lip back into it's normal position. I see many tools to 'roll' the fender lips, I'm looking for something to restore the proper profile and inward angle.  If I can't find something I may take a 1" long piece of 3/4" wood, trace the lip angle along the center, cut along the line with a jig saw to form a top and bottom curve, put protective tape on it and use it as a die with regular Vice grips and go slow.       thank you
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 01:24:10 PM by johnkn »

Offline jwc66k

Re: Front Fender Lip Repair
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 01:51:27 PM »
What size tires do you have up front? What type of rims, as in offset? What about legal action against the shop?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 02:21:08 PM »
-  is there a set of pliers or Vice Grips with lips in the approximate curve of the upper inner fender lip?   Obviously I would go super slow and try to persuade the lip back into it's normal position.
Wrap the teeth of your Vice Grips with "duct tape" (gasp) and gently force the lip back.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline johnkn

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 02:34:04 PM »
Stock Polyglass reproduction tires on stock wheels.    All I want to do is distance myself from that POS shop and owner at this point. Funny, he wouldn't have treated his personal B9 car that way.    I'll try the small wooden blocks sawed to match the lip radius as a die to use with the Vice grips and slowly persuade the lips back into their proper curve.  thanks all

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 06:36:38 PM »
All I want to do is distance myself from that POS shop and owner at this point.
That I understand all too well.
I'll try the small wooden blocks sawed to match the lip radius as a die to use with the Vice grips and slowly persuade the lips back into their proper curve. 
I've found that the wood "persuaders" conform to the distorted metal fender a lot (yes, it is two words) better than the metal fender conforms to the wood "persuaders". It's called experience.
Find some metal, like small 1/4 or 3/8 id metal pipe, about 1 to 2 inches long for the inner side, and some cutting, grinding and welding on a 3/4 inch pipe "T" to get a solid outer "arc" to press the fender lip into, and then use a large "C" clamp to apply the force. If this seems like overkill, it may work.
Jim

Offline 69bossnut

• DSD Restorations LLC
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 04:59:38 PM »
Maybe check with a local paint less dent repair guy. If he’s talented they can work wonders.
DAVID DAVIS
DSD RESTORATIONS LLC
5075 E. COUNTY RD. 126
BLYTHEVILLE, AR. 72315
870-780-4999
dsdresto@gmail.com
www.dsdrestoration.com