Author Topic: Upper control arm change?  (Read 16779 times)

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
Re: Upper control arm change?
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2012, 10:51:09 PM »
Thanks Charles,

You a fine gentleman!  They, like yours, need a little gouge repair so when I get that done, I'll blast them and then contact you.

Bryan
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2012, 09:45:51 PM »
I am going to post some pictures here of the upper control arms so we have a visual of what the cutback versus non-cutback style looks like.  They are essentially the same control arms with some very minor differences and you can see where they literally cut back the front portion of the arms here.  Although I dont know if I agree that there was a defined date late in 69 assembly where the cutback was exclusively used or changed over.  I have plenty of examples on cars where the cutback was already being used as early as October 68 time frame. 

And from this side you can see exactly where you have the issue of the wheel/tire rubbing against the control arm if you look at the upper control arm in the photo:

And here is a more visual reference when installed on the car the clearance issues you can run in to:

Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2012, 10:49:52 PM »
I am going to post some pictures here of the upper control arms so we have a visual of what the cutback versus non-cutback style looks like.  They are essentially the same control arms with some very minor differences and you can see where they literally cut back the front portion of the arms here.  Although I dont know if I agree that there was a defined date late in 69 assembly where the cutback was exclusively used or changed over.  I have plenty of examples on cars where the cutback was already being used as early as October 68 time frame. 
Marcus, The progression was non cut back in 67 then it changed to cutback in 68 and when a pattern of problems with fatigue cracks developed because of the metal taken away in the cutback design. Ford changed back in 1969 to the former design that had more strength. I am sure special Ed will be along to elaborate .
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 11:08:58 PM by J_Speegle »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2012, 11:11:33 PM »
I believe cutbacks were introduced around 4/68 when the CJ cars came out because of the 70 series tires
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2012, 02:55:00 AM »
I had to think about this and re-read the comments here.  I mis-read some of the previous posts.  And looking at the parts book (for what its worth) it shows three different variations of the upper control arms from 1967 to 1969....in other words there is a C7-A, -B and -C version which probably is the three different version arms we are talking about here.  So I cant comment on exact dates when they changed over from one to the other but for sure we know there is different versions out there.  In my opinion there is probably two versions of the non-cutback but I dont have anything now to show that side by side (non-cutback 67 and non cut-back 69).   
Marcus Anghel

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2012, 02:56:34 AM »

And I am also seeing a pattern of at least two different vendors of the upper control arms which probably makes sense from Ford's perspective.
Marcus Anghel

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2012, 11:15:09 PM »
What is the part number of the 3 rivit upper ?
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2012, 03:15:57 PM »
I'm in Oregon now so don't have access to parts book but I know it's a D0 part number.....probably with same basic part number I would guess.
Marcus Anghel

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2012, 05:47:57 PM »
What is the part number of the 3 rivit upper ?

Have some with the (later) D5DZ-3082-C and the 72 MPC shows a D00Z-3082-A part number
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline specialed

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2012, 10:44:28 AM »
The c7oz a & b look the same but the c (trimmed off c7oz-b) was done for clearance for the new wide f-70-14 polyglas tire being used on 68 1/2 cj cars & the rims were getting wider as the tires were. In late 69 when they beefed up the spindles rotors tie rods drag link etc for the shelbys & b2s to use the new f-60 -15 tires they went back to the c7oz-b upper arms as they were stronger & they were using a new 15'' taller rim. If you look closely at a c7oz-c (trimmed back upper) that has many miles on it you will see a crack going to outside from the outer 2 rivets to the end where it was trimmed off making that stressed area weak from where the metal was trimmed off. In 1970 ford redesigned the upper arm (dooz) to a new rounded off end by putting a 3 rivet ball joint on arm with a rivet to the center inside style. This made it alot easier having 1 upper arm to use from 70 to 73 instead of 3 different upper arms in 69.

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2019, 03:10:34 PM »
Another oldie but goodie.

My two 65 upper control arms show a single date code with the character M.
My 67 upper appears to only have a number.
Marcus shows a later (than 67) upper arm which appears to show an alpha and a number.

Is there any later data, especially 67 examples?
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion