Non-Mustang Ford & Mercury Models > Cougar 1967-73

68 Dearborn Inner fender / trans tunnel sound deadener?

<< < (2/7) > >>

jwc66k:

--- Quote from: RoyceP on April 18, 2021, 07:31:24 PM ---Very good Jeff. I find a wide variation in the sound deadener applied to the floor pan of Cougars. Sometimes they are just plastered, other times not at all. The San Jose ones that I have seen appear to be just exactly like Mustangs - deadener in the driveshaft tunnel but only a bit on the floor pans. It's the Dearborn ones that are all over the map.

--- End quote ---
Remember, Ford was NOT building Concourse grade cars. Don't make your restoration perfect. Pretend you are an assembly line worker while you do your project. Drink a beer. (Many San Jose cars were assembled stoned.)
Jim

RoyceP:
LOL probably sound advice but I only open beer when the tools are put away. I think they must have had a lot of mind altering substances in Dearborn too!

--- Quote from: jwc66k on April 18, 2021, 07:49:23 PM ---Remember, Ford was NOT building Concourse grade cars. Don't make your restoration perfect. Pretend you are an assembly line worker while you do your project. Drink a beer. (Many San Jose cars were assembled stoned.)
Jim

--- End quote ---

midlife:

--- Quote from: jwc66k on April 18, 2021, 07:49:23 PM ---Remember, Ford was NOT building Concourse grade cars. Don't make your restoration perfect. Pretend you are an assembly line worker while you do your project. Drink a beer. (Many San Jose cars were assembled stoned.)
Jim

--- End quote ---
I would be too if I had to work on an assembly line doing very repetitive tasks.  Ahhh...those were the days/daze.

J_Speegle:

Jim

--- End quote ---

Based on discussions with some of the workers would suggest that few of the workers were stoned or drunk on the job. Out of hundreds of the workers that touched each cars. Most of the workers that built the cars in the 60's were part of the Greatest Generation - ex WWII vets that took pride in their work and were happy to have a good job (much better than allot of other choices) at the time. During this time also there were less younger folks in the work force since allot of them were drafted and on a fully paid for trip to far off lands.

Of course there were goof balls, trouble makers and so on but most were our Dad's, Uncle's as well as neighbors. Hate to see all of them lumped together

Now back to the sound deadener :)

jwc66k:

--- Quote from: J_Speegle on April 19, 2021, 05:43:20 PM ---Based on discussions with some of the workers would suggest that few of the workers were stoned or drunk on the job. Out of hundreds of the workers that touched each cars. Most of the workers that built the cars in the 60's were part of the Greatest Generation - ex WWII vets that took pride in their work and were happy to have a good job (much better than allot of other choices) at the time. During this time also there were less younger folks in the work force since allot of them were drafted and on a fully paid for trip to far off lands.

--- End quote ---
There was a lot of "new blood" in the mid 60s, early 70's. That was the "hippie" generation. (Read "drugs"). They were 20 year olds and needed a job, but had no skills to speak of. They lasted anywhere from 89 days (the probation period was 90 days) to a couple of years at the plant. That's when most left for a number of reasons - like the draft. Those are the guys I went to Super Bowl Parties with, built off road toys with, boozed it up at the "Oar House", "Hiphugger", "The Morgue", "Big Al's Gas House", "St. James Infirmary" on weekends. I'm still in contact with a few after 50 years, and they do tell stories (hood alignment with a rubber mallet, busted spray guns, handfulls of extra screws tossed under the carpet, 4 out of 5 lug nuts - that's close, right?). However, no drugs for me, I had to take periodic tests as indicated in certain government contracts. We did go to the Milpitas plant to see our cars on the assembly lines though. Ford Aerospace was the outfit.
Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version