Author Topic: Paint stripping recommendation sought.  (Read 2471 times)

Offline bwross

Paint stripping recommendation sought.
« on: February 19, 2011, 04:56:05 PM »
Greetings all,
I looked through the various subject lines before asking so if this is a repeat my apologizes.
The problem I'm trying to resolve deals with the interior painted surfaces of my 67.  For example, the lower dash area; a previous, or several previous owners, must have painted it with a 2" brush and put the paint on about 1/16" (and I'm only slightly exaggerating!).  I'd love to be able to do a full-on restoration but the lack of facility, and finance precludes this option.  So what I need is if there is a recommendation of how and the equipment necessary to strip the paint off so I can repaint them in a suburban house garage.  Any and all recommendations and suggestions gladly accepted.

TIA,
Bruce

Offline jmlay

Re: Paint stripping recommendation sought.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 07:09:10 PM »
Whatever you use make sure the area is WELL ventilated. Also if you have a gas water heater in the garage you may want to kill the pilot while fumes are present. I have a friend of a friend that lost a couple of Shelby's along with his garage!!!

Mike
Mike

1969 Mach1 428 CJ Ram Air
San Jose
Scheduled Build: 1/2/1969
Actual Build: 1/3/1969
Released: 1/8/1969

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 07:13:27 PM »
One possibility would be to remove everything from the dash (gauges, dash pad...) then the front seats, front carpet and kick panels. Place cardboard on the now bare floor areas and use aircraft paint stripper in a well ventilated area.

Finish with a nice sanding then primer and paint.

Sure others will have their suggestions  - just getting the ball rolling for you ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline fastwayfirebird400

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 01:34:24 AM »
I have used a dip process on many of my parts but you must make sure you clean out the seams and hidden areas well. If you look under industrial stripping you may come up with a few. I use a company called Eco-clean   http://www.eco-clean.com/  here in the Atlanta area, they charge $2 a pound if I remember correctly. Redi-Strip was another company http://www.redistripco.com/ I will be taking my 69 dash for the dip process as it has a bit of surface rust on the back side.

Offline Shasmu

• shastamustangsupply.com
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 02:11:10 AM »
One possibility would be to remove everything from the dash (gauges, dash pad...) then the front seats, front carpet and kick panels. Place cardboard on the now bare floor areas and use aircraft paint stripper in a well ventilated area.

Finish with a nice sanding then primer and paint.

Sure others will have their suggestions  - just getting the ball rolling for you ;)
+1 Jeff!

Try to find the stripper product with the highest concentration of methylene chloride as the active ingredient, Ace hardware carries a good  spray bomb type called ''Tal-Strip''. Use a respirator if working in tight quarters, and watch out the overspray.
Keep a wet towell nearby if you get it on your skin, water kills the stripper quickly.
Carefully scrape excess paint away while the stripper is still active. Scrub off any residual stripper and old paint with rags,steel wool, scotch brite, or wire brush on a drill, untill it is only clean bare metal.
Any remaining specks of old paint will hold stripper, and will most likely cause the new paint to peel,so be through when cleaning the residue.
 I wipe the area well with lacquer thinner, or you can buy a product designed as a wash to kill any paint stripper that can help avoid disaster.
Always read and follow the directions on whatever products you are using.
Dave
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 02:13:07 AM by Shasmu »
Shasta Mustang Supply
Redding, Ca

Offline bwross

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 09:19:36 AM »
My thanks to all for your thoughts and feedback.  There are some significant safety issues that I hadn't completely thought through.

best,
Bruce