Author Topic: Transmission cooling fitting question  (Read 857 times)

Offline Bluepony

Transmission cooling fitting question
« on: September 14, 2021, 05:09:19 PM »
I removed the transmission cooling fittings from the radiator of my 68 convertible (J-code 302) to inspect and clean them and was wondering what to apply to the threads as a sealant before installing them.  Wasn't sure if t-tape can withstand hot transmission fluid or if there is a particular sealant (if any) that the factory used.  Maybe a thin coating of Permatex sealant?
Craig Stambaugh
'68 Convertible J-Code Brittany Blue
'64 1/2 Coupe F-Code Silversmoke Gray

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Transmission cooling fitting question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 06:47:20 PM »
If your concerned with leakage I would use Permatex Aviation on the fitting to radiator, clean off any visible product and hope that you don't need to remove them.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bluepony

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 09:49:10 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  Removal at some later date was in the back of my mind, but I'll give this some consideration.
Craig Stambaugh

Offline OldGuy

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 10:17:16 AM »
I removed the transmission cooling fittings from the radiator of my 68 convertible (J-code 302) to inspect and clean them and was wondering what to apply to the threads as a sealant before installing them.  Wasn't sure if t-tape can withstand hot transmission fluid or if there is a particular sealant (if any) that the factory used.  Maybe a thin coating of Permatex sealant?

If you are concerned about the operating temperature of teflon tape, here is a direct quote from a web inquiry.

The tape is commonly used commercially in applications including pressurized water systems, central heating systems, and air compression equipment. Temperature Range: -268?C to +260?C (-450?F to +500?F). PTFE is completely stable up to +260˚C (500˚F). Decomposition is slow up to 400?C (750?F).

Another inquiry also stated that teflon tape is chemically inert to petrol and oils.

In summation, I think that you are good to go to use teflon tape on your fittings. I've never had any compatibility issues with teflon tape. If your concerned about cosmetics, you can trim off the excess after installing your fittings.

Hope this helps.

Frank

Offline Bluepony

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 02:22:58 PM »
Thanks Frank.  Should have done the research myself - much appreciated.
Craig Stambaugh

Offline dave6768

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 08:51:24 PM »
Teflon tape all the way.  Think about your Teflon frying pans...good to like 700 degrees.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 04:36:33 PM »
Teflon tape all the way. 
Except where an electrical connection - read ground - is required, like oil pressure senders and water temperature senders. Use Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket there. I carried a can of that when I worked in "Installation" at Ford Aerospace. It has "other" uses.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 07:26:07 PM »
If your going the teflon route remember to remove all visible signs (considering where this subject is being asked :)

So not tale tail signs that its there
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)