Author Topic: 67 up pop-open gas cap disassembly  (Read 1842 times)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
67 up pop-open gas cap disassembly
« on: August 23, 2021, 11:11:56 PM »
I needed to re-chrome the pop-open gas cap on my 67 deluxe exterior car.
It appears this design runs through at least 69 so this is not in a specific year thread.

The base is easy. It just unscrews. But the swing away top/cap is another matter.
I'll call it the top. It has a hidden screw which requires a pressed-in inner cap to be removed from an outer cap to gain access to the screw. Usually resulting in the mangling or destruction of the pressed in inner cap.

I had a spare top and decided to try the pry maneuver on the inner cap. I took a small screwdriver, sharpened the end and gave it a slight radius. I lightly taped it between the inner cap the outer cap. Unfortunately this gave the outside rim of the cap a decided WW pattern. But it did pop out.

I decided to remove the good cap using the grease pressure method. I reasoned that I could weld the hole shut later.

However, my TIG ran out of gas and the metal is wonky to weld so it didn't come out too good. I then punted on the welded one and metal worked the WW edge version. I took a piece of DOM, bologna cut it and used it as anvil.

Other ways to remove the cap might include using a Spitz dent removal gun to weld a tab to the cap and using a slide hammer to pop it.
User 67350#1242 suggested using a dent removal method of hot glue and a slide hammer.

For those of you who haven't taken one apart, here it is, in order of reassembly:

* flip open top
* spring (stainless says my magnet)
* spring outer cap (items not shown next)
   - seal around outer edge where you see sealant. Seals against gas tank elbow. Not cork but a synthetic gasket
   - seal around inner portion one step above where screw sits. When the inner cap is pressed in it seats against the seal to prevent gas and vapors from coming through the cap. This one is cork.
* screw with rather thick washer
* pressed in inner cap which is the item of interest

My last method for getting at the cap if all else fails is to get a crappy spare.
To gain access to the stud (into which the screw inserts) you could use a grinder or hole saw to get at the screw post and remove it from the top. Grind away at the side of the stud so the screw releases. Insert a drift and lightly tap the cap out.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 02:26:33 PM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Re: 67 up pop-open gas cap disassembly
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 03:41:35 PM »
Post updated!
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: 67 up pop-open gas cap disassembly
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2021, 11:41:05 AM »
My vote goes to buy a spare (junk) cap, holesaw from the outside-center, remove the screw (as described) and once the spring is out of the way, gently tap the cap out.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 11:43:46 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments