Author Topic: Correct fan/clutch for 428 CJ  (Read 2352 times)

Offline Bsbeck

Correct fan/clutch for 428 CJ
« on: September 09, 2021, 01:56:01 PM »
I was checking over on https://www.428cobrajet.org/id-fan    to see if I've got the correct fan and fan clutch.  My car is a 1970 Mercury Cougar Eliminator with a 428 CJ, 4 speed, no A/C.  It was built at Dearborn on Sept. 29. 1969. 

www.428.cobrajet.org says the build sheet clearly identifies which fan my car came with.  The build sheet says "0T C".  That's not real clear to me.  LOL.  It's got an aftermarket flex fan on it now.  I've got a box of parts that came with the car and I believe I've got the original fan.  It's stamped "H C9ZE-E".  I believe that is the original one but I wanted to ask if anyone can decipher the "0T C" from the build sheet?

Next question would be is this something I can rebuild myself or who do I send it to for rebuild?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 02:08:52 PM by Bsbeck »

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
Re: Correct fan/clutch for 428 CJ
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 02:23:33 PM »
That build sheet is for a D0TA-8600-C flex fan, no clutch.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline Bsbeck

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 04:42:06 PM »
Scott, thank you for the quick reply.

Offline Bsbeck

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 04:49:59 PM »
Anybody got a D0TA-8600-C they would swap for a C9ZE-E ?

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 11:15:39 PM »
And here I thought OTC would have meant an "Over The Counter" item... :o
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2021, 02:34:25 AM »
And here I thought OTC would have meant an "Over The Counter" item... :o

LOL!  It would, except it's a 0 (zero) T C...  So "the counter" is out of stock :-(
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2021, 05:36:35 PM »
Anybody got a D0TA-8600-C they would swap for a C9ZE-E ?

Might consider posting wanted ads around the internet so that you get maximum exposure

As far as the fan I guess you have already gone through the steps to determine which fan your car came with - Drag Pak verses non Drag Pak

For others who will see and read this thread both fans were used - just need to know what application is correct for your specific car

Do have other copies of 70 CJ buildsheets and some are coded "OTAC" instead as shown

The C9 was also used the same year
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bsbeck

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 10:00:43 PM »
Jeff, I'm hearing the D0TA-C was recalled and the C9ZE-E was still used.  Could it be mine came with the D0TA-C fan (since the build sheet shows that) but it was recalled and replaced with the C9ZE-E?  My car was built on Sept. 29, 1969.  Would it be a Cardinal sin to believe that's what happened and use the C9ZE-E fan?  I found a 35 stamped near the end of the fan blade.  I assume that's for the 35th week of 69?  That would put it at Aug. 25, 1969  to  Aug. 31, 1969.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2021, 07:35:21 PM »
Jeff, I'm hearing the D0TA-C was recalled and the C9ZE-E was still used.  Could it be mine came with the D0TA-C fan (since the build sheet shows that) but it was recalled and replaced with the C9ZE-E?

Haven't seen any documentation of a recall related to a possible fan issue.  Did see a mention of a 70 CJ fan recall over on the CJ site but that discussion was a different fan not and not the D0TA-C you have on your build sheet apparently

The thread is titled "1970 Radiator fan Re-call" but the poster is asking about a "Build date 9/19/68 also a discussion touching on the ' G ' fan last May "SCJ Built in September1968?" so its a bit confusing

All the links posted are related to the later "flex fan" concern/reports that we saw at the time and some of Ford and other builders responses to that

Since we see that you have read and included a link to the CJ sites Fan description and application page no reason to revisit it.

My car was built on Sept. 29, 1969.  Would it be a Cardinal sin to believe that's what happened and use the C9ZE-E fan?

"Cardinal sin"??  well don't think you will be excommunicated because of the choice. Now it will be incorrect and not a part that anyone would expect on a fully restored car IMO. 

You may have to or choose install it temporarily as a "place keeper" to get the car operational until you find the correct one. I've done this on my Boss - not that I've put allot of effort in finding the earlier version as I should  ::)

I found a 35 stamped near the end of the fan blade.  I assume that's for the 35th week of 69?  That would put it at Aug. 25, 1969  to  Aug. 31, 1969.

Not familiar with the date code pattern used on the D0 fans. C9 and prior most often used a letter and year. You may be correct in your assumption
Jeff Speegle

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2021, 06:18:39 PM »
The C9OE-H and the DOTA fans both had date codes stamped in them.  I don't think the C9Z-E fans were date coded.  I looked at one today to double check and didn't see anything resembling a date code.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2021, 08:22:41 PM »
The C9OE-H and the DOTA fans both had date codes stamped in them.  I don't think the C9Z-E fans were date coded.  I looked at one today to double check and didn't see anything resembling a date code.

Think you many be correct as I don't recall a date on the last one I had.  Wonder why, seems odd but we'll likely never know the answer
Jeff Speegle

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2021, 04:15:23 PM »

Think you many be correct as I don't recall a date on the last one I had.  Wonder why, seems odd but we'll likely never know the answer

My C9ZE fan has SOME sort of code stamped on it.  It's a recall fan installed to replace my D0TA-C at some time.
It's stamped "27" and the Greek letter "Mu" (12th letter of the Greek alphabet, fwiw).

Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!