Non-Mustang Ford & Mercury Models > Cougar 1967-73

Correct fan/clutch for 428 CJ

<< < (2/3) > >>

Mike_B_SVT:

--- Quote from: midlife on September 09, 2021, 11:15:39 PM ---And here I thought OTC would have meant an "Over The Counter" item... :o

--- End quote ---

LOL!  It would, except it's a 0 (zero) T C...  So "the counter" is out of stock :-(

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: Bsbeck on September 09, 2021, 04:49:59 PM ---Anybody got a D0TA-8600-C they would swap for a C9ZE-E ?

--- End quote ---

Might consider posting wanted ads around the internet so that you get maximum exposure

As far as the fan I guess you have already gone through the steps to determine which fan your car came with - Drag Pak verses non Drag Pak

For others who will see and read this thread both fans were used - just need to know what application is correct for your specific car

Do have other copies of 70 CJ buildsheets and some are coded "OTAC" instead as shown

The C9 was also used the same year

Bsbeck:
Jeff, I'm hearing the D0TA-C was recalled and the C9ZE-E was still used.  Could it be mine came with the D0TA-C fan (since the build sheet shows that) but it was recalled and replaced with the C9ZE-E?  My car was built on Sept. 29, 1969.  Would it be a Cardinal sin to believe that's what happened and use the C9ZE-E fan?  I found a 35 stamped near the end of the fan blade.  I assume that's for the 35th week of 69?  That would put it at Aug. 25, 1969  to  Aug. 31, 1969.

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: Bsbeck on September 13, 2021, 10:00:43 PM ---Jeff, I'm hearing the D0TA-C was recalled and the C9ZE-E was still used.  Could it be mine came with the D0TA-C fan (since the build sheet shows that) but it was recalled and replaced with the C9ZE-E?
--- End quote ---

Haven't seen any documentation of a recall related to a possible fan issue.  Did see a mention of a 70 CJ fan recall over on the CJ site but that discussion was a different fan not and not the D0TA-C you have on your build sheet apparently

The thread is titled "1970 Radiator fan Re-call" but the poster is asking about a "Build date 9/19/68 also a discussion touching on the ' G ' fan last May "SCJ Built in September1968?" so its a bit confusing

All the links posted are related to the later "flex fan" concern/reports that we saw at the time and some of Ford and other builders responses to that

Since we see that you have read and included a link to the CJ sites Fan description and application page no reason to revisit it.

--- Quote from: Bsbeck on September 13, 2021, 10:00:43 PM --- My car was built on Sept. 29, 1969.  Would it be a Cardinal sin to believe that's what happened and use the C9ZE-E fan?
--- End quote ---

"Cardinal sin"??  well don't think you will be excommunicated because of the choice. Now it will be incorrect and not a part that anyone would expect on a fully restored car IMO. 

You may have to or choose install it temporarily as a "place keeper" to get the car operational until you find the correct one. I've done this on my Boss - not that I've put allot of effort in finding the earlier version as I should  ::)

--- Quote from: Bsbeck on September 13, 2021, 10:00:43 PM --- I found a 35 stamped near the end of the fan blade.  I assume that's for the 35th week of 69?  That would put it at Aug. 25, 1969  to  Aug. 31, 1969.

--- End quote ---

Not familiar with the date code pattern used on the D0 fans. C9 and prior most often used a letter and year. You may be correct in your assumption

rockhouse66:
The C9OE-H and the DOTA fans both had date codes stamped in them.  I don't think the C9Z-E fans were date coded.  I looked at one today to double check and didn't see anything resembling a date code.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version