Author Topic: Installing snaps for vert need advice  (Read 8161 times)

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
Re: Installing snaps for vert need advice
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 03:10:16 PM »
You will wish you had put the washers on if you install and remove your boot very many times.
Think what you are pulling on when you remove the snaps...

...that tiny rivet head which is bearing on ABS plastic.
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 05:59:22 PM »
I've got two extra snaps by the left and right quarter windows and 4 along the top edge of the passenger side door. None on the driver's side door and none along the dash. Does this suggest a Tonneau cover of some sort? What would have supported the center?
'66 6-cylinder Sprint Convertible
Metuchen - Scheduled May 10th; Built June 21st

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2011, 10:32:45 AM »
Bryon, I think shell is fiberglass not ABS. If I would have used washer rivet end would have been short. Well it's done now so I will have to see what happens. Before mounting I will cycle  the boot a couple dozen times.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2011, 09:32:48 PM »
They are abs or some other sort of plastic. That makes the a lot harder to repair than fiberglass. Marty

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 12:24:44 AM »
I would have thought that ABS is vacume formed and smooth. Mine have a non smooth finish on the back side. Almost stringy like old time fiberglass from that era. Reminds me of a 68 shelby hood on the underside. By the way has anyone ever figured out what the numbers on the back side in red grease pencil stand for. I have a pair with #3 and a pair with #4 written on them.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 08:56:23 AM »
There were some fiberglass reproductions made at one time.  I found a set in a car I worked on once.  Most of the ones I thought were original were either black or cream color plastic.  The black ones usually seem to be a little more flimsy.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
There were some fiberglass reproductions made at one time.  I found a set in a car I worked on once.  Most of the ones I thought were original were either black or cream color plastic.  The black ones usually seem to be a little more flimsy.
Agreed Marty

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2011, 10:06:57 AM »
I have 2 sets, both identical and positive they are not reproductions. One set is original to car and second stripped
Out in mid eighties. Repops of these not available back then. Pulled off original upholstery which is much thinner than reproduction.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2011, 11:46:57 AM »
You might be surprised what was being reproduced in the 80's.  Seems like I remember an engineering number being molded into the backs of these.

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2011, 10:22:34 AM »
Caspian I remember when I started in this hobby in the eighties and the catalogs with the available reproduction pars. Nothing like what it is today. Glancing at what is available today I believe you can assemble an entire car less drivetrain from a Mustang superstore like NPD, dynacorn and others. I don't remember repop shells. Back then the junkyards were still stocking Mustangs as parts cars. Today every rusted out hulk is a future "restoration project". I did take a closer look at the extra shells I have and the stringy texture on the back must have been caused by the way the adhesive was applied. One of the

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2011, 10:28:30 AM »
Pretty obvious that the availability of parts is not the same as it was then.  I was only pointing out that there were things being reproduced back then that most people did not realize.  What about the reproduction 65-66 AM/FM radio that was made in the late 70's-early 80's?  Pick up an old Mustang Monthly and look at the advertisements and you'll see what I mean.  Also, my name is Charles, not caspian.

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2011, 03:00:57 PM »
Charles, I took a look at a extra shell that had A break in it and it was a clean smooth break. No fibers. So the term of fiberglass which I had used was incorrect. This hobby has come a long way in the last 30 years with parts availability and quality. I just took a look at some repop dash trim from the mid eighties. The original fastenerswont work because the plastic pegs are a slightly smaller diameter. The piece on the right of the glovebox is way too flat compared to the original. Come a long way.

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2011, 07:12:10 PM »

Pete, Yes, Your car had the Tonneau cover at one time.  Those snaps are correct.  You should also have two brackets coming off of the top Dashpad trim, One on each corner.  California Mustang is the only place that I know of that still sells the Tonneau cover. The repro slightly differs from the original, but not much. Attaching points are the same I think.  They are cool..!
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2011, 08:52:27 AM »
Tony,

The brackets, along with the Tonneau cover, are long gone. And I see no evidence (a hole or other such marking) at the dash to indicate there had ever been one. Do you, or anyone else, have an instruction sheet that shows how these were installed.
'66 6-cylinder Sprint Convertible
Metuchen - Scheduled May 10th; Built June 21st

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2011, 09:58:38 PM »

Pete, I sent you an e-mail on this..

Tony K.
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001