Author Topic: Ford 4100 Carburetor Black Stains  (Read 433 times)

Offline Dan Case

Ford 4100 Carburetor Black Stains
« on: December 22, 2021, 01:14:08 PM »
If you have a new old stock or never rebuilt or reworked Ford 4100 carburetor assembly made during the years 1963-65 with a stain like shown below I would like to hear from you.  I would be interested in the assembly number, revision level, and assembly date code.

This sample below is a new old stock carburetor assembled in 1964 for a 352 c.i.d. engine application.

Thanks for looking.
Dan

The black material was a liquid run down the wall of the body as the body was upside down. A dull black dried in place material was used to coat throttle shafts where they rode in the aluminum body. Most likely a dried in place lubricant and or anti-seize compound of some type most carburetors escaped the assembly line without a large run on the body in line with the primary throttle shaft.  It appears that shafts were dipped in the liquid material before being inserted into the body. It was very common for the right hand ends of throttle shafts to be "painted" dull black.

Just a sloppy operator during some assembly periods or too much solvent reduction some weeks, who knows.

Otherwise every new 4100 carburetor I have seen and many unmolested ones have black showing multiple places. The next two pictures below are of a new old stock carburetor.

The last image is showing the black coated accelerator pump over travel lever. Many 1963-1964 and some 1965 carburetors had black levers. It appears to me to be the same coating applied to throttle shafts during assembly.  Many chemicals and solvents will remove the black coating easily.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 01:47:25 PM by Dan Case »
Dan
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.