Author Topic: Gas filler pipe?  (Read 986 times)

Offline KevinK

Gas filler pipe?
« on: January 03, 2022, 02:16:27 AM »
While working on a friends 66 coupe, I noticed the fuel tank inlet pipe seems to be shifted to the left. The gas cap and filler pipe are centered and aligned to trunk latch. It seems odd for it to be shifted. The coupling hose has a wire clamp on the tank side and a worm clamp on the filler pipe side. Is this normal or should I be looking for signs of major damage? I did not see anything with a quick inspection.

Thanks or any input.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Gas filler pipe?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 11:27:09 AM »
While working on a friends 66 coupe, I noticed the fuel tank inlet pipe seems to be shifted to the left. The gas cap and filler pipe are centered and aligned to trunk latch. It seems odd for it to be shifted. The coupling hose has a wire clamp on the tank side and a worm clamp on the filler pipe side. Is this normal or should I be looking for signs of major damage? I did not see anything with a quick inspection.

Thanks or any input.
The non original replacement worm clamp suggests that the hose and or filler neck have been messed with for some reason.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 12:36:31 PM »
While working on a friends 66 coupe, I noticed the fuel tank inlet pipe seems to be shifted to the left.
By how much? And do look for damage, especially frame. There are frame measurements in the service manual.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 05:42:38 PM »
Looked at a car not long ago where the whole back half had been rebuilt. The trunk latch support was so far off the bracket looked to be bent at almost 25 degrees towards the passenger side so that the trunk latch would line up with the trunk lid. This meant that the filler neck needed to be angled differently a bit to compensate also
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline KevinK

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2022, 10:35:26 PM »
Ok, I just wanted to be sure it should all line up centered. I have never worked on 65/66 cars before.  This car has been banged up a bit here and there. I don't see signs of any thing moving more than an inch or two.

I suspect the issue is at the gas tank.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 01:06:10 AM »
Ok, I just wanted to be sure it should all line up centered. I have never worked on 65/66 cars before.  This car has been banged up a bit here and there. I don't see signs of any thing moving more than an inch or two.

I suspect the issue is at the gas tank.

Yes not leeway on a 65-66 and the support bracket is shallow

Hope these will help in some way with your issues. Not easy to find a straight on picture

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)