Author Topic: '69 SCJ PVC and Intake fittings detailing  (Read 465 times)

Offline 69supercj

'69 SCJ PVC and Intake fittings detailing
« on: July 23, 2022, 09:53:01 PM »
Where could I find pics of how to properly detail the PVC system and the intake manifold fittings on a '69 SCJ with disc brakes?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: '69 SCJ PVC and Intake fittings detailing
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2022, 11:17:57 PM »
Believe we've had a couple of discussions on the painting and detailing of the PVC tubes, fitting and such, in the past. Some of the unrestored picture threads that at CJ cars will provide additional info. And finally there is the article that Marcus published on detailing the whole engine assembly a few years back.

https://secureservercdn.net/198.71.233.167/xnm.126.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/cobrajet_engine_detail_v1.3.pdf

In addition you have the "detail manual" printed a few decades ago

http://www.sunbunnybrown.com/detailshop/manual/
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 69supercj

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 02:30:49 PM »
Jeff I looked at Marcus's article and it really doesn't show any of the PVC fittings or at least enough to get an idea. I think from what I've read lately is that none of the fittings at the rear of the intake got painted because they were installed on the line per vehicle options ordered. Is that correct? And if I'm correct  the PVC hard line and hose's get painted along with the front fitting and hose clamps? Sorry to be a pain but just trying to get this thing as correct as I can. When I originally restored this car in '94ish I think I painted some items that shouldn't have been because info was a little less available back then. Is Joe's booklet still considered accurate?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 05:20:08 PM »
Three examples. Just happen to be Shelbys from about 4821xx to 4831

First example

Close ups from second. While you painting might as well place a mask over the two bolt bosses as was done originally. You can see them at the rear of the intake drivers side

And a final example. This one appears to have been touched up but they followed the original paint pattern

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Offline 69supercj

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 05:59:36 PM »
It does, thanks a bunch. But one question I've always had. How did they keep the paint off the aluminum valve covers when the PVC hose that lays right on top of it is painted blue? I was always told or led to believe that they painted the PVC stuff when they painted the engine. Did they use sacrificial valve covers for this or what?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2022, 06:10:35 PM »
The chrome/aluminum valve covers were not installed and a mask was placed over the PCV. Not sure what type of mask sat over the valve train and don't recall a shadow around the upper lip of where the valve cover would be installed.

I've not run across any engine plant pictures of engines with dress up valve covers when finished, being painted
Jeff Speegle

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2022, 06:36:22 PM »
Maybe you can figure this out from Jeff's pictures but the fitting screwed into the rear of the intake manifold is painted with it, but any fitting that is then screwed into it is not painted.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline 69supercj

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2022, 11:16:18 PM »
Maybe you can figure this out from Jeff's pictures but the fitting screwed into the rear of the intake manifold is painted with it, but any fitting that is then screwed into it is not painted.

Yep that's one of the things I was looking at, thanks for the info!!!