Author Topic: 68 wood grain applique  (Read 666 times)

Offline ruppstang

68 wood grain applique
« on: August 07, 2022, 04:08:51 PM »
I received a deduction on our 68 GT350 because the wood grain applique had shrunk back from the edge of the panel. Today I decided to replace it. I had a new set of dash pieces, so I removed the old applique. I thought I would test fit the new applique and I am glad I did the new piece was 1/4 of an inch short. It was shorter than the one I removed. Luckly, I had a bulk piece that was large enough to cut one from. It was a tedious job but came out well. If you need to do this, do not waste your money on the kit.   

Offline jwc66k

Re: 68 wood grain applique
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2022, 04:14:05 PM »
"Bought from/made by" information may help others. Years back, I had a similar "fit" problem on a 65-66 console. The seller made good.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 04:33:09 PM »
I received a deduction on our 68 GT350 because the wood grain applique had shrunk back from the edge of the panel. Today I decided to replace it. I had a new set of dash pieces, so I removed the old applique. I thought I would test fit the new applique and I am glad I did the new piece was 1/4 of an inch short. It was shorter than the one I removed. Luckly, I had a bulk piece that was large enough to cut one from. It was a tedious job but came out well. If you need to do this, do not waste your money on the kit.
Just be sure all of the grain pieces match . Sometimes when using material from a different batch etc. there can be a distinct tell tale difference between them . You don't want to fix one problem and then be surprised when another is discovered in your case by the judges.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 05:56:39 AM »
Are we able to request our judging sheets already? I thought we had to wait two weeks?
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2022, 08:59:53 AM »
Are we able to request our judging sheets already? I thought we had to wait two weeks?

Yes you can. Since we scan and email the sheets out the MCA office manager carries a thumb drive home and can start sending them out as soon as she gets back to the office. This has been very helpful when there is only 30 days between shows.