Author Topic: 1969 mustang rocker moldings  (Read 794 times)

Offline 1966KGT

1969 mustang rocker moldings
« on: May 03, 2023, 08:16:43 AM »
My Dearborn built 69 mustang convertible is suffering from the cheap junk aftermarket rocker moldings, won't stay on, I think I used Corvex back in 2005-2006 when it was redone. I have some OEM moldings and was wondering if I stripped with easy off and left them natural with a light polishing would they oxidize and deteriorate? I was given a lead in Alabama I believe, David Russell anodizing, would this be an option/ Has anyone used them? Do not want to ruin the OEM ones. The car has end cap and wheel opening moldings also. If needed what is a recommendation for aftermarket moldings? I missed a pair of NOS moldings several weeks back.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 08:23:19 AM by 1966KGT »
1966 K GT, BUILT 11/08/65 4 SPEED, SAN JOSE CAR, 1969 Mustang convertible, 1970 MACH 1, 1963 GALAXIE Q code Fastback, 1966 mustang t code coupe, fuel injected

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1969 mustang rocker moldings
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2023, 05:45:57 PM »
Yes if you remove the plating the bare metal will oxidize and likely change over time depending on the humidity  as well as how the car is stored and used.

Don't recognize the platter you mentioned so no comment can be made on that part of the post.

Not sure why you don't want to use the originals and possibly have them restored but you have your reasons. I went through this fairly recently and had a set of wide (for another application) pair done and it was not cheap but could not use them as they were or leave them off so I took the plunge and simply looked at it as part of the investment. It's not like these are often car worth only $20K any more so everything I do and put into the cars I look as just part of the choices being made for the future of the car and possibly a pay out at some point for me or someone else

Good luck with your choices
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1966KGT

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 07:14:13 AM »
Thanks Jeff, when I reworked the car I was not aware of this site and the wealth of knowledge available.
 I have always saved cars I have used for donor parts, I have quite a few 69 pieces, cars that were pretty much hulks were stripped and body discarded, coupes, Grandes, no fastbacks, should have kept the shells. I got David Russell Anodizing from Greg Donahue years ago as Greg was the Premier go to guy for 63-64 Galaxies, I am in the final stages of restoring a 63 1/2 Q Code 427 Galaxie fastback, Greg sold to Bud Potter in Connecticut years back, now Bud's Classic Cars. Davidrussellanodizing.com Sanford, Fla. 1-407-302-4028 if anyone is needing this service. Hope this contact can help someone else. I thank the site again.
1966 K GT, BUILT 11/08/65 4 SPEED, SAN JOSE CAR, 1969 Mustang convertible, 1970 MACH 1, 1963 GALAXIE Q code Fastback, 1966 mustang t code coupe, fuel injected

Offline alanmac

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2023, 05:55:47 PM »
I used King Of Trim for restoration of all my aluminum bright work.  They removed all the road rash and small dents.  One of the dents was pretty big from a garage door mishap on my hood molding. They removed the dent, you cant see where it was fixed. The have the correct clear anodizing.  My trim turned out very nice, maybe better than the original OEM finish.  My contact was Marco, not sure if he is still there.  I had a 69 SCJ back in the day.   https://kingoftrim.com/     Alan
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
1 of 186 with these paint/trim codes
Build Date: October 7, 1969
0T1190xx
Dealer: Maguires Garage Inc. Duncannon PA