Author Topic: A method for removing straight type oil fill tubes from FE engine intakes  (Read 1252 times)

Offline Dan Case

I was cleaning up and overhauling the induction system for a CSX31XX 427 Cobra. The original induction system had been stored on a shelf is a working heavy equipment shop for decades. Unrestored, very dirty, and showing some parts damage here and there from decades of poor storage conditions it need some tender preservation work.

The original oil fill tube was dented, the entrance opening had a bent in lip in one area, and the baffles had been pushed to the bottom of the tube. We could not find a new old stock tube or good used tube in the EXACT same design as Ford installed in the time frame the induction system was made new. It was desired to remove and repair the tube assembly for reuse.

I tried all kinds of suggestions people offered and all were going to add more damage to a part we learned was very rare. I more or less stumbled upon some industrial heavy duty floor anchors of the type used to anchor large manufacturing equipment to factory floors. In the collapsed state it would slip into the damaged oil fill tube. Expanding the anchor gripped the inside of the tube very well. I added a loop to a hex nut and used a slide hammer to easily remove the tube.

Simple metal working repaired the tube and baffles, the baffles were pressed back into place, and the repaired tube was pressed back into its original intake manifold.

Dan
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Great Idea Dan. Thanks for posting . You are always the man with a plan.  ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Dan Case

Great Idea Dan. Thanks for posting . You are always the man with a plan.  ;D

You are welcome. I have created quite a few tools over the decades to make jobs easier and reducing chances of damage to me or the pieces I am working on. Most are related to A.C. Cobras but some apply to other cars also.
Dan
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Very creative

Might be able to recycle the idea to some other challenging issues 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

I more or less stumbled upon some industrial heavy duty floor anchors of the type used to anchor large manufacturing equipment to factory floors. In the collapsed state it would slip into the damaged oil fill tube. Expanding the anchor gripped the inside of the tube very well. I added a loop to a hex nut and used a slide hammer to easily remove the tube.

What size?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Dan Case

What size?
Jim

Has 1 1/4 size embossed on the anchor but I never measured one. (see picture: "3/4 BOLT" and "1 1/4 DRILL".)
Dan

Offline jwc66k

Has 1 1/4 size embossed on the anchor but I never measured one. (see picture: "3/4 BOLT" and "1 1/4 DRILL".)
Now I see them. I don't read "bolt".  ;)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.