Author Topic: Tail light body plating and restoration  (Read 1665 times)

Offline wcampbell

Tail light body plating and restoration
« on: July 26, 2011, 01:08:18 AM »
Guys,

I need to have my original '65 tail light bodies replated. I believe the were originally plated with zinc dychromate?? I have disassembled them removing the sockets, but I don't have a lead on a plating facility. Does anyone have a name or number of place they use to replate the part they can pass along? Thanks in advance.

Wayne
wandccampbell@hotmail.com

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: Tail light body plating and restoration
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 10:01:46 AM »
Wayne-
   I believe the tail light bodies were Clear Zinc (Silver) and not Zinc Dichromate (Gold). As far as a plating shop, where are you located? Have you Googled plating shops in your area. This topic has been discussed here before, I can give you the name of the plater I used here in Ohio but shipping to and from might be be a killer.
   Also, you might want to grab as much stuff to be plated at the same time as some of these shops have minimums. You can possibly plate a bucket full of pieces/parts for the same price of the 2 tail light bodies.

Best of Luck,

Greg
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 06:18:33 PM »
Wayne,
I used Steve Gregori for plating my 65 and 66 tail light body's. Did a good job. Depending on the condition of yours the more you can prepare them for plating yourself the less work he will have to do. Greg's correct they should be clear zinc. I put a Link to the website below.

Dave

http://detailplating.com/services.htm
65 Coupe Dearborn Scheduled Build July 9,1965 289/C4
66 Sprint Conv. Dearborn Scheduled Build May 13, 1966 200/C4

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 09:07:06 PM »
Agree these should (were) originally plated with clear or bright (depending on what the process is called in your area) zinc

Final product is very dependent on the condition of what your start out as
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)