Author Topic: Cast Iron Part Restoration  (Read 10362 times)

Offline john_simms

Cast Iron Part Restoration
« on: October 20, 2011, 07:42:27 PM »
Is there a preferred method or procedure for refurbishing cast iron parts such as a generator bracket and also a procedure for preserving hot cast parts such as exhaust manifolds?

Thanks.

John

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Cast Iron Part Restoration
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 07:49:16 PM »
For cast iron parts, I first soak in evaporust to see how they turn out.  Sometimes they are good enough to put a protective coating on and use as-is.  Otherwise, blast with glass bead, nothing too rough that etches the surface bad.  Once they are clean, do a quick 15-30s dunk in manganese phosphate.  This will darken the metal just enough so they don't look like they were just blasted.  After that, soak in oil for 24 hours, wipe/clean and install.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 07:51:24 PM »
John,
Not sure about the cast generator bracket, but I used Eastwoods Stainless Steel coating on my exhaust manifolds after blasting and they still look good 4 years later and about 4000 miles on the motor. Just maybe a touch up here or there every once in a while.

Dave
65 Coupe Dearborn Scheduled Build July 9,1965 289/C4
66 Sprint Conv. Dearborn Scheduled Build May 13, 1966 200/C4

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 12:28:46 AM »
I've use McKay Graphite Spray in the distant past on exhaust manifolds after bead blasting. It left a darker metallic finish that looked great but after a year or so the manifolds got a bit rusty. Currently I use Eastwood Factory Gray Hi-Temp brush-on paint and that seems to last longer and looks better.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 12:54:17 AM »
Ceramic coating on exhaust manifolds is a great finish that holds up very well.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 01:38:32 AM »
Jet hot works very well too . Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline john_simms

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 06:25:45 PM »
Thanks all for the information.  Sounds like I will be able to come up with a viable solution.

John

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 04:45:28 PM »
Here is a pic of the ceramic coating that was mentioned earlier. I hear it will last for a loooong time.

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 12:08:12 PM »
Ceramic coating on exhaust manifolds is a great finish that holds up very well.

Old post but....Are you all talking about a professional shop ceramic coating, or a high-temp paint containing ceramic, like VHT Flame Proof spray paint?  Looking to do my exhaust manifolds soon.  If the latter, did you use high temp primer too?
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 04:23:58 PM »
Old post but....Are you all talking about a professional shop ceramic coating, or a high-temp paint containing ceramic, like VHT Flame Proof spray paint?  Looking to do my exhaust manifolds soon.  If the latter, did you use high temp primer too?
There ar a number of companies that do the high grade heat coating on exhaust manifolds. Do not be fooled into thinking it will look like anything but painted. Cast iron color but painted.  http://www.jet-hot.com/ is best IMO others will have different. The VHT is at the lowest end of the spectrum. It will not last very long . Other types of DIY products will have varying better degrees of longevity. I guess it depends also on the how long you want them to last and how much you are willing to spend. If you don't care what they look like next year when the car is sold then the VHT is the economical choice. Eastwood and others sell good products that are at least twice as good as VHT but they cost more too. The last time I sent Jet hot some exhaust manifolds it was about 250.00 for the set to do but it will last forever. They may be more now . They are the most expensive I think. Unlike a SB which are a pain to get on and off the BB ones are a royal pain and you only want to take them off once  ;). So the money was worth it to me for that particular situation so I would never have to deal with it again. 20 years so far and still no rust no flakes etc.  I have also used the other products and as long as you do not have unrealistic expectations they are fine depending on the situation.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 08:44:26 PM »
For the exhaust manifolds - like others have used the Graphite and Ceramic coating with success. The graphite sometimes requires so reapplication depending on the usage. For the non high heat parts I've used (one the part is clean) RustMort or Graphite to get the color back to looking fresh after the cleaning - then oiling it just like any other Phosphate and oil piece.

Do have a friend testing the new Never Wet product to see how it will hold up on bare metal to the elements (think he has the part nailed to a fence for the winter to test ;)

Good thing is that there are a number of paths to the result your looking for ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 09:22:25 PM »
Thanks all.  I see these nice dark exhaust manifolds on show cars and wonder how they did it.  Of course, they may not start them either.  :)

http://www.jet-hot.com/ is best IMO others will have different.

Looked at Jet Hot Bob.  Do you remember what product and color you used?  I'd be looking for a concourse type look.

Looking at http://www.jet-hot.com/coatings/jet-hot-extreme-1300/ maybe the medium gray or just satin?  Assuming that's satin clear? 

Thanks,
Rich
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 03:58:27 PM »
Thanks all.  I see these nice dark exhaust manifolds on show cars and wonder how they did it.  Of course, they may not start them either.  :)

Looked at Jet Hot Bob.  Do you remember what product and color you used?  I'd be looking for a concourse type look.

Looking at http://www.jet-hot.com/coatings/jet-hot-extreme-1300/ maybe the medium gray or just satin?  Assuming that's satin clear? 

Thanks,
Rich
The NOS exhaust mainfolds I have had or do have now are closer to the dark gray. A freshly bead blasted cast iron part will be much lighter in shade then a cast iron part fresh out of the mold. I think I have used the medium and dark gray both in the past.

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 06:23:04 PM »
I took my Exhaust Manifold, (6-Cylinder), to my local machine shop. After removing all of the oil and grime, they bead blasted it...looked great and cost me just $55.00. I then painted it using Eastwood Factory Gray High Temp Paint to prevent it from flash rusting. The color is medium gray in appearance, (the photo is far lighter than it actually is), and on my last Mustang, lasted about three years before it needed some touchup.

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline hopeto

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 09:28:34 AM »
Has anyone tried the POR-15 High Temp Manifold Gray? http://www.por15.com/HIGH-TEMP_p_104.html
What were your results?
Thanks
Original one owner 84 GT Convertible with 1800 miles. 65 Silver Smoke Gray K Code GT Coupe - 65 Cyclone - 67 Vintage Burgundy K Code GT Coupe.  1970 Calypso Corral Boss 302 - 2012 Yellow Blaze Boss 302.