Author Topic: Is my engine original?  (Read 3048 times)

Offline Rare67

Is my engine original?
« on: November 03, 2011, 12:06:58 PM »
My 67 fastback had a scheduled build date of January 19th 1967 in Metuchen. Build sheet was under the dash.

The 289 heads are date coded August 2 1966 and August 9 1966.
Block (C5AE-6015E) is dated August 8 1966
Passenger exhaust manifold is dated August 3 1966
Drivers exhaust manifold is dated August 1 1966
Distributor (C7ZF) is dated August 8 1966
They engine is thought to be original to the car, but are these numbers too early??
I cannot make out an assembly date on the drivers front of the engine.

I have owned the car since 1984
Previous owner which was a family friend purchased the car in 1974 and drove it only once or twice per year. Never mentioned any engine replacement.
The mileage read 11,000 when I purchased it which we just assumed to be 111,000. After the engine was torn down, we noticed that the inside looked relatively new so 11,000 miles could have been a possibility.

Paul

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: Is my engine original?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 12:38:02 PM »
I don't think its much of a streach for it to be the original...is it a C,A or K code engine?

Offline Rare67

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 12:55:50 PM »
It is an A code

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 01:38:15 PM »
Keep in mind that there was a UAW strike at Ford after the engine was built and before the car was built, which may be a factor. I don't know if a Marti Report would give you more info, but I would recomend that you get one anyway.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 08:52:00 PM »
Keep in mind that there was a UAW strike at Ford after the engine was built and before the car was built, which may be a factor. I don't know if a Marti Report would give you more info, but I would recomend that you get one anyway.
Jim

Jim what UAW strike was that? Could not find anything about it at the UAW history site. The only ones I could find before the late 67 strike was in July 26, 1961 that was about 3 months long
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 09:51:38 PM »
The strike was fall of 67 not 66 so it wouldn't affect his 67. 5 months is a long span but its possible
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 12:39:03 AM »
Yeah, it was the 68 model year that was affected. Still, get a Marti Report.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 12:52:24 AM »
In my opinion, the components are dated too far back, but I wouldn't completely rule it out.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Rare67

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 09:27:21 AM »
I will check out the date codes on the toploader this weekend and see where they fall.

Unfortunately, I had the block decked several years ago which seems to have milled off the assembly date stamp  :(

It sounds strange that the entire original A-code engine could have been replaced in the first 7 years with an early '67 A-code engine that was original to itself down to the exhaust manifolds and distributor, and being dated around the correct time frame. Perhaps a junkyard replacement which may have been cheaper than a Ford replacement?

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 09:52:18 AM »
Its probably a lot more common than you think. Having owned a lot of cars in the 70's I can tell you it was much easier and cheaper to go to the local wrecking yard and buy a complete motor than rebuilding one. 7 years times 15K average yearly miles= 105K.  About the life expectancy of those motors
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 10:06:08 AM »
Unfortunately, I had the block decked several years ago which seems to have milled off the assembly date stamp  :(

It sounds strange that the entire original A-code engine could have been replaced in the first 7 years with an early '67 A-code engine that was original to itself down to the exhaust manifolds and distributor, and being dated around the correct time frame. Perhaps a junkyard replacement which may have been cheaper than a Ford replacement?

The same date code stamp is typically found on the bottom of the block on the smooth surface where the oil pan attaches. It might be like one letter off at the end, doesn't always match exactly.

Not really unheard of for engine replacement in that time frame.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin