Author Topic: Announcement !!  (Read 8946 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Announcement !!
« on: November 29, 2011, 12:36:35 AM »
We are pleased to announce that ConcoursMustang.com has gained access to the official Ford photographer for the San Jose plant and have made arrangements to publish pictures taken at that plant through the years that the company still has in their possession.

We are not expecting to uncover the Rosetta Stone of Mustang knowledge from these pictures alone, but instead some new and additional insight as to how things were done in an average day, as best possible, since photo shots were in a great part, staged or of special milestones taking place at the plant.

One challenge is that just like getting pictures from Ford archives, they are not free so we believe we have come up with a way for all of us members in this site can take part in gaining access for all of us to view. It is our hope that the members here will gain benefit and choose to support these efforts. If we are successful in this first procurement, we will plan on repeating it and gain access to additional photos of the Mustang and or Shelby production process.

Here is how we hope it will work. We will accept donations (going to use my PayPal account rather than commingle the normal ConcoursMustang donations and the photo project ones).  It doesn't get used for pretty much anything these days and we will post a list in that category of who has contributed to the project for transparency and accountability. As we pay for each photo they will be published to the site in that new member only area. (To see my email address click on my name to the left of this post or others)

In this endeavor we're not looking for any single member to fund the project (already had those offers) but instead believe there is a benefit, to the community, to do this as a group for the benefit of all. In this way everyone can participate by giving a little to reach the goal.  Make sense?

Of course, we have also obtained permission from the photographer to post these pictures only on our site making them available to us for research and discussion purposes. So each will carry the sites' water mark so we ask that everyone respect copyrights and permissions. Any problems might jeopardize future access.

Bottom line - Looks like we've got a good eighteen pictures that are going to cost just over $700. They will be posted as we gain resources to pay for each of them  (one at a time) .  We will explore and figure out how to also post some high resolution pictures so that those interested in them, can enlarge them greatly to explore any small details that might be discovered. We know that most of the time we get poor scans from publications to discuss.

Again it is our hope that this goes smoothly and with its success we can explore obtaining photos from other plants and other years using the same membership participation program. (Have a kine on another six pictures ;)

Think that is it.

Thanks... the management ;)

PS- We expect that there will be questions and comments. For this reason we waited till after the holiday so they could be responded to in a timely manner. ;)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 07:54:46 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
Re: Announcement !!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 08:35:12 AM »
just let us know where to donate  ;D
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 10:54:30 AM »
+1
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline russgoodman

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 01:04:28 PM »
Are the pictures in color or b/w?
Very exciting announcement!
65 Coupe 5F07C627703
Sch build date 2-9-1965
Wimbledon White (M) w/ standard palomino buckets (29), 289 2V, C4
53K original miles

Offline cobraboy

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 04:04:05 PM »
Jeff
Will the pictures be shown in a new area only accessable to the contributors ?
Is there a figure in mind for a contribution ?. Otherwise without a suggestion of amount you may get a 5 bucks from someone or 100 bucks from a person who has a SJ car, and if both have access and a contribution list is printed I can see trouble ahead.
Are normal contributions to this site acknowledged when received ?
Thanks
Mark
13th April 1965 Dearborn K GT on the other side of the pond.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 04:37:31 PM »

Using PayPal (likely the easiest for just about all) use my email address (in my profile) and in the message header or body mention ConcoursMustang Photo Project or something like that. Will have to pay the people directly through the mail at this point or in person

Are the pictures in color or b/w?

During the 60's and 70's the majority of pictures were not taken to be used in advertising (which were often color) so they are typically b/w. We are getting some 74-late 80's also from some of the other plants also (don't want to leave the others out of the fun)
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 04:50:31 PM »
Good questions

Will the pictures be shown in a new area only accessable to the contributors ?

We thought it best that it would be open to all members rather than contributors only since, if to contributors only, then we would have to set a specific "buy in amount" and would have to make each on pay up each time we add another picture.  Talking to other members this seemed to be a real pain over time. Yes there will be some that will get access for free this way but everyone that pledge support so far thought that the individual cost would end up pretty small that it would not "hurt" anyone individually"

Just don't want to create a monster or allot of work - would rather spend the time discussing and enjoying the opportunity

Is there a figure in mind for a contribution ?. Otherwise without a suggestion of amount you may get a 5 bucks from someone or 100 bucks from a person who has a SJ car, and if both have access and a contribution list is printed I can see trouble ahead.

I think they would likely be a suggested minimum since PayPal takes a set amount out of every exchange along with a percentage (believe that is how it works) a very small amount would just get eaten up with their overhead. What would you think?

Currently we take donations and everyone can see who gives and how much. The difference for general forum support, has been from just under $10 (minus PayPals little cut) to $200 if I recall correctly, and we have not heard anyone complain that others are not helping out. I thought that if we just posted who helped with out a dollar amount some might not be happy but open to input. This will not be prefect nor without a hiccup here or there just trying to make things work.  ;)

The first group of pictures is from San Jose only because the opportunity presented itself and San Jose pictures have been allot more difficult to find then Dearborn in general. A second group of pictures are being obtained (small group) of later model Mustangs that will not represent San Jose so I hope no one gets hung up on what plant the pictures are coming from. We will also make an effort to get s series that was mentioned in another thread from the Dearborn achieves for example. Over time the membership will hopefully find benefit from any new and/or additional stuff we get to see in this new photos.

Are normal contributions to this site acknowledged when received ?

Of course PayPal sends an email "receipt" and acknowledgement not sure if you get another from this site. Will let others comment if they remember receiving one or Randy may comment. I've often funneled my donations through others so as to stay below the radar :)

Thanks for the concerns and thoughts - would rather get them up front and discussed now rather than later.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 03:03:00 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 05:02:32 PM »
Some additional information about the first group of pictures.

They will include some pictures of Cougars being built at San Jose in 68. Since they were assembled on the same line, using the same practices and many of the same parts, we felt they would be a benefit. Will also be posting, with the pictures, dialog from workers describing what is taking place in the pictures as well as anything else related as we get it. I will be taking printouts of the pictures to interviews with the workers hopefully after the holidays as I expect it will jog some memories.

A couple of the pictures have been published in a recent publications but our access will allow us a much closer look at the photos since we will have high resolution scans rather than a 2"x3"  picture in a book.

Just keeping you all informed
Jeff Speegle

Offline cobraboy

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 06:09:49 PM »
Thank you for the reply.
I am happy to work with a suggested amount, as I have no idea which park to put the ball in.
Mark
13th April 1965 Dearborn K GT on the other side of the pond.

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 11:46:24 AM »
Jeff,

Here's MY suggestion on the amount.  Don't say ANYTHING or make ANY suggestions about a contribution amount.  If an individual wants access, they will contribute as their conscience and their perceived value dictate.
There will be way more than $700 contributed anyway, and no-one should care how much who contributed except themselves.  The "mooches" that only go in for $1 and then reap $500 worth of benefits have to look at themselves in the mirror.  Chances are, we who are regulars on this forum can pretty accurately predict who they are going to be. ;)
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 02:09:07 PM »
+1, what Bryan said.

Greg
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 03:04:52 PM »
Jeff,

Here's MY suggestion on the amount.  Don't say ANYTHING or make ANY suggestions about a contribution amount.  If an individual wants access, they will contribute as their conscience and their perceived value dictate.....

Bryan solid suggestion.  The challenge is always trying to make/keep the majority happy

I would guess that you would suggest that no contributors names nor amounts be posted either?
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 02:46:19 AM »
Seems that some are having difficulty finding my email address (if I post it here all those email scanners who will fill my email box again with junk :(

So click on my name to the left of any of my post. This will bring up a profile page with my email address

Thanks
Jeff Speegle

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 01:09:39 PM »
Bryan solid suggestion.  The challenge is always trying to make/keep the majority happy

I would guess that you would suggest that no contributors names nor amounts be posted either?

Yes Jeff,
It's kind of like...no-one in church (including the preacher) has any business knowing who give what amount.  If they do,
they begin to treat folks differently depending on contributions. 
 ;)
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 02:33:06 PM »
Seems that some are having difficulty finding my email address (if I post it here all those email scanners who will fill my email box again with junk :(
So click on my name to the left of any of my post. This will bring up a profile page with my email address
Thanks

OK it seems other are having problems seeing an email address when they click on the name (not sure why  - I can do it with any of your posts) so here it is to make things easier. Just remove the 1 from the beginning

1jspeegle@verizon.net

Also thinking of issues - we will post a STOP once we have paid for all of the pictures in these batches then start up when we find the next. Don't want to be holding dollars without a plan. ;)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 02:35:45 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle