Author Topic: Pony Carburetors Is History?  (Read 15431 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Pony Carburetors Is History?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 09:41:05 PM »
If they are closed I really don't think why is anyones business than the families and I hope things work out for them in the long run with their choices.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 12:17:39 AM »
If they are closed I really don't think why is anyones business than the families and I hope things work out for them in the long run with their choices.

Have to agree with Jeff here.  While I think it would be interesting to know the reasons, it may be very personal to the family and close friends of Jon.  If they want folks to know what happened, I'm sure word will get around eventually.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 03:03:10 PM »
If the fumes are the problem for Jon and Mike, that definitely does not always apply. A friend of mines wife died from brain cancer about 10 years ago and the only fumes that she would have been around were from the horses that she kept.

-Fred-
Fred , it is my understanding that the dye/plating process for the carb bodies is the suspected culprit . The solution is apparently a carcinogen .
The dye solution that is absorbed through you skin and or fumes is bad. It is not the carb cleaner solvent although that is no doubt harsh too.  I hesitate to get any Zinc Dichromate solution for the same reason. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline flyingfred

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 05:24:44 PM »
Bob, Do you know what the particular dye/plating process he was using that was so toxic? I just want to make sure that I avoid it in doing any of my items.

-Fred-

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2011, 09:53:39 PM »
Bob, Do you know what the particular dye/plating process he was using that was so toxic? I just want to make sure that I avoid it in doing any of my items.

-Fred-
Fred, it is the dye plating for the gold color of the carb body. I have heard zinc de chromate is just as bad so be careful. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby