Author Topic: Engine compartment paint questions...  (Read 3919 times)

Offline john_simms

Engine compartment paint questions...
« on: December 15, 2011, 01:56:16 PM »
I have a 64.5 D-Code coup, April 1964 build, that I am hoping to detail out the engine and engine compartment this winter.  I am considering buying an AMK master engine kit and replacing most if not all the bolts under the hood.

For water pump bolts, timing cover bolts, head bolts, and intake manifold bolts, I assume those are all installed first, before the block is painted?

Exhaust manifold bolts, fuel pump mounting bolts, engine ID tag, etc are not painted?

Generator mounting bracket and bolts, are they painted the block color or both left natural?

Next question, what is the trick for getting engine paint to stick to the aluminum water pump and timing chain cover?  I've painted mine a couple of times over the past 30 years I've owned the car, and the paint always peels after a few years.  Maybe one of the self-etching primers made specifically for aluminum?

Sorry for so many questions, but thank you to all for the vast wealth of information here.

Best regards,

John

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Engine compartment paint questions...
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 03:33:16 PM »
I have a 64.5 D-Code coup, April 1964 build, that I am hoping to detail out the engine and engine compartment this winter.  I am considering buying an AMK master engine kit and replacing most if not all the bolts under the hood.

The AMK kit is fine for most, but if you're particular about head markings, you may find some of your original fasteners (if you still have them) to be different.

For water pump bolts, timing cover bolts, head bolts, and intake manifold bolts, I assume those are all installed first, before the block is painted?

Yes, all those were installed before paint.

Exhaust manifold bolts, fuel pump mounting bolts, engine ID tag, etc are not painted?

Exhaust manifolds were installed before paint, so the locks, washers and bolts might have a little engine color over spray.  Engine ID tag and fuel pump bolts not painted, either zinc or cadmium plated.

Generator mounting bracket and bolts, are they painted the block color or both left natural?

Natural, not painted, don't recall the correct finish.

Next question, what is the trick for getting engine paint to stick to the aluminum water pump and timing chain cover?  I've painted mine a couple of times over the past 30 years I've owned the car, and the paint always peels after a few years.  Maybe one of the self-etching primers made specifically for aluminum?

You can use an epoxy primer on the engine before painting, preferably black.  Be sure everything is clean and scuff off the aluminum pieces with a scotchbrite pad.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 04:12:20 PM »

Sorry for so many questions, but thank you to all for the vast wealth of information here.

Best regards,

John
If the aluminum parts are glass beaded the paint really gets a good bite  ;). Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 05:42:09 PM »
John-
   Thanks for asking the questions and great answers. Now if you'll excuse me I need to go change a couple of things. ;)

Greg
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline john_simms

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 08:30:42 AM »
Thanks all for the information.  Now if I just had time to get in the garage and do some work...

John

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 02:48:07 PM »
Thanks all for the information.  Now if I just had time to get in the garage and do some work...

We can help with the info - can't help much with the application phase ;)

Merry Christmas
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline john_simms

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 01:39:04 PM »

Natural, not painted, don't recall the correct finish.

With reference to the generator mounting bracket.  To the best of my knowledge, mine was originally not painted which agrees with the comment above.

Looking at the MCA guidelines though, it says semi-gloss black. 

"Semi-Gloss Black Components: Fan, fan pulley, crankshaft pulley, generator bracket, alternator mounting bracket and adjustment arm, (66 - 200 alternator adjustment bracket, blue or black). Automatic transmission dipstick tube."

Which is correct?

Thanks.
John
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 01:44:59 PM by john_simms »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 09:35:51 PM »
My comment was regarding the fasteners.  The bracket is most typical painted black per the MCA rules.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline john_simms

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 10:15:22 PM »
Thank you Charles for the clarification.