Author Topic: Big Block 4-Speed Z-Bar Springs  (Read 2498 times)

Offline Stangman68

Big Block 4-Speed Z-Bar Springs
« on: December 17, 2011, 12:39:06 PM »
I have a 69 428 SCJ 4-Spd car.  The z-bar has both an upper and lower spring.  The lower spring is easy to figure out where it attaches...the upper no so much.  On 67/68 modles there is a bracket that attaches to the emergency brake firewall side...this bracket has a hole in it to attach the spring.....69/70 models do not have this bracket and i can't for the life of me figure out where to attach this upper spring.  any assistance woluld be appreciated.  my email is:  stangman68@mediacombb.net

Offline specialed

Re: Big Block 4-Speed Z-Bar Springs
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 02:24:48 PM »
the long end hook goes in cutout  at top bar by curve and short end on lite blue spring hooks on a small raised metal tab on metal plate by steering column hole below booster and very hard to hook on firewall after booster and engine installed.

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 03:08:13 PM »
Adding to Ed's response, here is a picture that will at least show you where to grope for the firewall tab.  You can't actually see it here, but you can identify the location at the end of the blue spring.  Obviously, not a PB car.  And yes, I know the Z-bar should not be zinc  ::)

Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline specialed

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 05:01:24 PM »
ZINC z-bar in late 70 and they changed the lower pin size bigger when they sold them as dozzs

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 11:48:18 AM »
Be Prepared for this !

After an hour of trying I stepped back, opened a beer.  installed the spring on a "flexible grabber" and FISHED it into the slot on the firewall. (It took about two beers)

Mark
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 12:34:21 PM »
Ya did good, lad. I figure at the end of the day, if I ain't cut and bleeding, the day was not good. And the beer helps the pain.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Stangman68

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 08:50:50 PM »
 >:(  Great, i wish i knew that before i put the engine in....to be honest, I really don't recall seeing any eyelet in that location...did all 69/70 cars have the eyelet, regardless of automatic/standard trans???  or is it an eyelet that bolts on???

Offline specialed

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 10:37:39 PM »
Just a small raised metal hump stamped outward on metal reinforcement plate spot welded to firewall for booster and steering column mount.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 10:53:40 PM »
>:(  Great, i wish i knew that before i put the engine in....to be honest, I really don't recall seeing any eyelet in that location...did all 69/70 cars have the eyelet, regardless of automatic/standard trans???  or is it an eyelet that bolts on???

Hope this helps

In the pictures I have the tab is there on original automatic as well as manual cars in 69

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)