Author Topic: 69 power steering pump bracket  (Read 2787 times)

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
69 power steering pump bracket
« on: December 10, 2011, 01:56:02 PM »
Can anybody clarify what color the mounting bracket should be Iv'e seen natural and ford blue.

69 Dearborn
302 2-V
69 Sports Roof 302 2V (numbers matching)
Dearborn (June build date) Acapulco Blue
68 Coupe J-Code
San Jose (June build date) Sea Foam Green
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
Re: 69 power steering pump bracket
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 02:07:57 PM »
The Cradle Bracket that mounts it to the motor? It should be Natural Aluminum.
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 08:29:13 PM »
Adjusting/face bracket semi-gloss black

Saddle bracket bare/natural aluminum as mentioned above

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 10:57:16 PM »
How about the adjusting bracket or at least I think that is what it is called , it appears to be plate steel.
68 Coupe J-Code
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 11:56:11 PM »
How about the adjusting bracket or at least I think that is what it is called , it appears to be plate steel.
A lot of observations have been made of some but not all 69 Dearborn examples of the P/S steel bracket being zinc phosphate plated instead of painted. It could look to be plate steel if the zinc phosphate wore off because of time and environment. This is contrary to the painted way that we typically see the brackets found in other plants in 69 as well as other years regardless of engine size. Because of these observations I personally wouldn't think much about if I saw it ether way in a concours venue knowing it was a Dearborn car. However you might met some resistance as the bare metal finish on this part is not widely accepted . You will have to make the choice to paint or not paint knowing if you don't you will most likely have to explain your choice .  I hope this post helps you make a informed decision for what will be best for you.  At the very least I would document the unpainted  bracket for future reference for yourself and others. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 07:58:24 PM »

As mentioned and shown in the post above semi-gloss black. Have not seen the bare ones yet though will continue to look for them on 69 Dearborn at Bob's suggestion
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 08:43:34 PM »
Sorry guys I think I have caused some confusion with my hasty review of Jeff's comments.  I didn't notice the red arrow pointing to the bracket in the photo.  I work as a structural engineering detailer and refer to everything that's not cast as plate steel regardless of the finish.  The face bracket had blue paint on it that came off very easy just with solvent, almost flaky.  I didn't see any evidence of any other color underneath the blue.  The bare metal looked like it could of been phosphate.  Wonder if some one did some touch up at one time and sprayed over it.  The alternator bracket also had silver paint on top of black and it also came off very easy.  Thanks for the help I really appreciate all the great advice.
68 Coupe J-Code
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 09:34:30 PM »
Sounds like the paint which came off easily was lacquer rattle can paint. If you use lacquer thinner based sollvent it will wrinkle and flake off easily. Sounds like someone was trying to pretty up an engine in the past. Cured enamel paint does not react this way typically however i've noticed that parts like pulleys which may have been originally dipped in a thinned down black paint flake off if allowed to sit in evaporust for an extended period of time.