Author Topic: What to do with original springs...??  (Read 1822 times)

Offline Oz390

What to do with original springs...??
« on: January 07, 2012, 04:45:23 AM »
Have a C code Cal Special and an X code and both had, what appear to be, original front coil springs. 

The GT/CS rode high in the nose, as they did back-in-the-day, and while staying close to original I just can't take that look.   So swapped 'em out a while ago.  The X code is being modifeid to a EXP500 and again sits nose-high so once the resto gets going will lilely repalce the springs to get the ride height I want.

But.... as they are orignal and I hate to throw out anything that can never be replaced by new.... is there anything about them, other than the fact they are 40+ year old parts with factory paint daubs, that should keep me from donating them to the local recycler???   
8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute

Offline jwc66k

Re: What to do with original springs...??
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 12:06:21 PM »
If you have the room, keep them, you never know.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: What to do with original springs...??
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 03:32:04 PM »
Have a C code Cal Special and an X code and both had, what appear to be, original front coil springs. 

The GT/CS rode high in the nose, as they did back-in-the-day, and while staying close to original I just can't take that look.   So swapped 'em out a while ago.  The X code is being modifeid to a EXP500 and again sits nose-high so once the resto gets going will lilely repalce the springs to get the ride height I want.

But.... as they are orignal and I hate to throw out anything that can never be replaced by new.... is there anything about them, other than the fact they are 40+ year old parts with factory paint daubs, that should keep me from donating them to the local recycler???
Fortunatly springs of the same wire size and specs can be made up by a variety of vendors .  The 67-68 Shelby had a unique wire size and specs different then a regular Mustang and are not reproduced . Bob 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby