Author Topic: Repop Versus OEM Door GRAIN!  (Read 5704 times)

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
Repop Versus OEM Door GRAIN!
« on: February 01, 2012, 04:57:54 PM »
I have always wanted to see a set of repop doors to compare to OEM for the inside grain texture.  I had heard a lot of negative comments.
Well finally someone posted some Hi-Res pics and I got to compare it to my originals.
I really don't think it's THAT far off if you use a little more primer than you would on the OEM ones???

THE BLUE ONE IS MY OEM, of course.
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline Asm109

Re: Repop Versus OEM Door GRAIN!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 05:57:47 PM »
They look like negative  images of each other.

Ie the repop  has raised areas that are the same size and shape as the depressions in the OEM.

I wonder if that is a clue to how the repop got its grain pattern?

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 06:18:56 PM »
"They look like negative  images of each other."

First thing I thought when I saw it too.

Greg
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 07:41:24 PM »
"They look like negative  images of each other."

First thing I thought when I saw it too.

Greg

Same here...
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline cobrajetchris

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 10:40:23 PM »
You would think at least one time the CHINESE parts manufactures would make a mistake and get a part correct! so typical. I bet you look down the panel in the right light the entire outer panel has ripples in  and wieghs less too. Get a good original door and duplicate the grain the best you can if you have to make a repair in that area, that way you at least have a genuine part because I guarantee if they screwed the grain up that bad there are going to be many other issues. I know that there is times when reproduction parts are the only option on some things, however I feel original doors are avialable. Just my thoughts......CHRIS
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 10:55:52 PM »
O M G!!!! . I am glad I got to see a comparison. Thanks. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 12:46:11 AM »
We used one on a 64 1/2 convertible a few years ago and I do not have anything good to say for them but the one thing that I could not believe that they got wrong was they made the hole for the data plate rivits too large. Now I could never make a reproduction door but I think I could measure and drill a hole the correct size. Marty

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 08:49:30 PM »

My God, Are all the Repop doors like this?  Golden Legion?  Dynacorn?

It obviously is a negative image..

Tony K.

Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline macdude67

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 09:31:53 PM »
The holes in the door for the data plates are the wrong size because they use the metric system! And oh my god I hope the pic with the finger in it is not the grain in the door panel! Oh maybe the grain is screwed up because they reversed engineered the part and took that to litterally?

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 12:45:13 AM »
I have always wanted to see a set of repop doors to compare to OEM for the inside grain texture.  I had heard a lot of negative comments.
Well finally someone posted some Hi-Res pics and I got to compare it to my originals.
I really don't think it's THAT far off if you use a little more primer than you would on the OEM ones???

THE BLUE ONE IS MY OEM, of course.

What do you think of this grain?

1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 07:50:33 AM »
In PLAIN ENGLISH...  It looks great, but it's immediately obvious it is a reproduction door.  99% of folks would never notice.  100% of Mustang enthusiasts and judges would notice.
It IS A SHAME that whomever did the work that produced the tooling to make this grained steel was not coached by someone in the QC function that knew enough about what was being attempted, to catch the reversed pattern before millions of bucks was spent.  At that point it was too late to correct the error.

I don't know if the steel sheets would be stamped out or rolled in the mill, but either way, you can bet the tooling is VERRRRRRY expensive.
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline scrogg67

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 10:18:28 PM »
you guys have a lot better eye than I have but I bought the dynacorn full doors. we must have gotten lucky.  They lined up great, look great and the interior grain looked close to me. 

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 01:55:24 AM »
I 'm very surprised you can't see the difference . It is exactly opposite of the factory type. Where the grain is raised on the original it is depressed on the repro and vice versa.The close up pictures illustrate the difference. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Flade

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 03:04:51 AM »
Since the grain is wrong on repop doors, what about door skins?  Anyone had good luck, or horror stories to tell about reskinning original doors?   I have classic Mustang rust spots in the corners of my 68 vert doors, trying to decide the best path forward.  Do I attempt o patch & repair, reskin, or replace?
68 Convertible, 289 C4, SJ May 68 build date

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 11:10:43 AM »
Since the grain is wrong on repop doors, what about door skins?  Anyone had good luck, or horror stories to tell about reskinning original doors?   I have classic Mustang rust spots in the corners of my 68 vert doors, trying to decide the best path forward.  Do I attempt o patch & repair, reskin, or replace?

I'm afraid that even the best body man would have a hard time fitting a repro skin and getting it to fit/look right.  I would much rather invest in an original door, whether it needed a little welding repair or what-not.  If your doors aren't right, it throws off everything else and a poor fit will cheapen the overall look of the restoration.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin