Author Topic: Park / Emergency Brake Warning Light Question  (Read 3834 times)

Offline hopeto

Park / Emergency Brake Warning Light Question
« on: January 08, 2014, 03:24:01 PM »
I have seen the rectangular under dash one like this Scott Drake piece, but I ran across this round (drill a hole in the dash) version also. Is the round one also a "correct" piece for a 1967? The reason I ask is because a previous owner drilled the dash on one of my cars and installed a toggle switch right where that hole would be located. It would be great to install this one to fill the hole.

Original one owner 84 GT Convertible with 1800 miles. 65 Silver Smoke Gray K Code GT Coupe - 65 Cyclone - 67 Vintage Burgundy K Code GT Coupe.  1970 Calypso Corral Boss 302 - 2012 Yellow Blaze Boss 302.

Offline Rsanter

Re: Park / Emergency Brake Warning Light Question
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 03:38:34 PM »
I have pulled the one with the round indicators out of a few 67 or 68 cars in the past. Mostly cougars but at least one in a mustang.
I cannot say if they were original from the factory or installed at the dealership or even installed by the owner. But there were in the same place in the car always and they had been there for a while because the cars I removed them from were long time Junkers

I think I have one of the sets left if anyone needs one

Bob
Bob

66 mustang GT conv 289 AT deluxe int - high school car
66 mustang conv 289 -3x2v-4spd deluxe int
68 mustang conv basket case
69 mustang conv 302 AT
66 mustang coupe hotrod/racecar

Offline hopeto

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 03:45:30 PM »
I sent you a private email. I do need to locate one of these. I "borrowed" these mages from the internet. That's how I ran across it. Thanks, Jimmy Austin
Original one owner 84 GT Convertible with 1800 miles. 65 Silver Smoke Gray K Code GT Coupe - 65 Cyclone - 67 Vintage Burgundy K Code GT Coupe.  1970 Calypso Corral Boss 302 - 2012 Yellow Blaze Boss 302.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 06:56:22 PM »
It is my understanding that for 67/68 the only factory installation of the emergency brake warning light was part of the convenience control package.  The package includes four warning lights - (1) seat belt (based on timer), (2) emergency brake (based on a switch), (3) low fuel level (based on a unique fuel level sending unit and interposing relay), (4) door ajar (based on two switches, one per door latch).

All four lights were round with chrome bezel.  The default location was the center dash panel.  If A/C was also optioned, since the center vent supplanted the four indicator lights. the lights were located in the lower console.  That means that if someone ordered the convenience control package, and A/C, the lower console would be a requirement.  That would cascade also to require a radio. But I digress. 

The under dash implementation of the emergency brake is IMO yet another Ford aftermarket/over the counter/dealer installed option, not factory.

The first 3 pictures below are from A/C vehicles.  The last picture from a car without A/C
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 08:39:06 PM »
It is my understanding that for 67/68 the only factory installation of the emergency brake warning light was part of the convenience control package.  The package includes four warning lights - (1) seat belt (based on timer), (2) emergency brake (based on a switch), (3) low fuel level (based on a unique fuel level sending unit and interposing relay), (4) door ajar (based on two switches, one per door latch).

All four lights were round with chrome bezel.  The default location was the center dash panel.  If A/C was also optioned, since the center vent supplanted the four indicator lights. the lights were located in the lower console.  That means that if someone ordered the convenience control package, and A/C, the lower console would be a requirement.  That would cascade also to require a radio. But I digress. 

The under dash implementation of the emergency brake is IMO yet another Ford aftermarket/over the counter/dealer installed option, not factory.

The first 3 pictures below are from A/C vehicles.  The last picture from a car without A/C
Shelby's are my main field of interest and on the 1967 Shelby is where I have always seen the under dash type . They were on all of the earlier builds then stopped and were only seen sporadically all the way to the end of 67 Shelby production.  This would be a SJ installed item and not anything Shelby American would install.I still depend on others when it comes to a lot of regular production variatons, ironically I would have guessed if asked  that the hole in the dash installation of the park light "kit" as it is referred to would be the over the counter and not assemblyline version . Seeing how the under dash unit was installed early and also late as can be documented on many 67 Shelby's  that would seem to indicate that the under dash type was the defacto standard for the light when not installed in conjunction with the convenience group and not the hole in the dash one as indicated in the 'Kit" illustration. At least for the SJ plant. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 08:40:55 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 09:29:44 PM »
Interesting observations Bob.  I've only worked on a couple 67 Shelbys and have never see this - that said the ones I worked were not stellar examples of originality i.e 428 PI replaced with a 68 302 :(.  Then there was the 68 500KR that had a 302 with GT 350 stripes.  Must have been a fuel embargo thing - hopefully it was not a hot car.  I can say that the only under dash light I've seen, and I look at a lot of cars, is the seat belt one.  I've never seen the emergency brake light outside of the convenience control panel.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Rsanter

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 10:01:02 PM »
I don't ever recall seeing the under dash one on a car, not that I have dealt with that many Shelby's in my lifetime.
I have however seen and removed the round light version.
I always thought it was interesting that ford just put a little light there with no labeling

Bob
Bob

66 mustang GT conv 289 AT deluxe int - high school car
66 mustang conv 289 -3x2v-4spd deluxe int
68 mustang conv basket case
69 mustang conv 302 AT
66 mustang coupe hotrod/racecar

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 10:22:26 PM »
Interesting observations Bob.  I've only worked on a couple 67 Shelbys and have never see this - that said the ones I worked were not stellar examples of originality i.e 428 PI replaced with a 68 302 :(.  Then there was the 68 500KR that had a 302 with GT 350 stripes.  Must have been a fuel embargo thing - hopefully it was not a hot car.  I can say that the only under dash light I've seen, and I look at a lot of cars, is the seat belt one.  I've never seen the emergency brake light outside of the convenience control panel.
Well you are not off base because as soon as I read your post I realized you are talking about the under dash brake light and I with my tunnelvision saw underdash and didn't register brake light but the only one I have ever seen which is the Seat belt Light. Until you mentioned it (even though it was in the title) I was thinking underdash style and not brake light / seatbelt light. I apologize for the confusion.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 12:26:32 AM »
I too have worked on and judged a lot of 67-68 Mustangs and have not seen the separate E brake reminder light. Looks like to me just a dealer add on item.