Author Topic: 67 Mustang Dark Moss Green in Sikkens  (Read 2034 times)

Offline macdude67

67 Mustang Dark Moss Green in Sikkens
« on: March 07, 2012, 05:34:15 PM »
Has anyone used or has the formula for 67 Mustangs Dark Moss Green In Sikkens Autobase Plus? Or if they have used Sikkens and know what the Color Map position is that they used?

Offline Oz390

Re: 67 Mustang Dark Moss Green in Sikkens
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 05:53:36 AM »
Good luck. 

I just went through 4 different manufacturers versions of "68 highland green"... radically different when compared side-by-side... if you are hoping for OEM look, not going to find it based on any one formula as every vendors version of the color is different, based on my $600 waste of time... unless you happen to get lucky!

One vendors two versions of the "same color" in "old school" VOC and new water based were way off.

IMHO no modern formula will look the same as the OEM color, unless you go custom color match to a known OEM undegraded sample.
8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 11:40:21 PM »
Good luck. 

I just went through 4 different manufacturers versions of "68 highland green"... radically different when compared side-by-side... if you are hoping for OEM look, not going to find it based on any one formula as every vendors version of the color is different, based on my $600 waste of time... unless you happen to get lucky!

One vendors two versions of the "same color" in "old school" VOC and new water based were way off.

IMHO no modern formula will look the same as the OEM color, unless you go custom color match to a known OEM undegraded sample.
i recently bought a series of color chip book pages off of ebay. you might be able to do he same and adjust the particular companies formula to match. The vintage chips are relatively color true reliable based on comparisons with several from different vintage paint company books.   They had the stock colors for sale on ebay. I recently borrowed a 69 vintage color chip book that a friend had to give me a color true chip to match for a non stock color. I was great help since the car had been repainted and I didn't know what color shade to believe. The paint on the car didn't match the ppg color chip and the vintage color chip didn't match ether . I went with the vintage color chip shade as the more reliable of my other examples.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 12:24:34 AM »
I too have the vintage chips and have found them to be very useful. It is too bad that they are too small to be scanned for color match.
Marty

Offline Oz390

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 10:17:46 AM »
Agree with ruppstang, the chips are "nice to have". 

But for "matching" OEM I don't believe anything today is 100% accurate, and that each vendors "blend" of any color will vary somewhat.  As I've noted before, I compared 3 vendors "same" color side-by-side and they are obviously different to the eye.  Paint a car and park it, most would have no clue.   

And I'd bet if you took a few Metuchen and San Jose cars off the line in, pick a year, and the Metuchen were done in November and the San Jose in June, or even 6 months apart on the same line, you would see variations in the "same" color....  you can spray the same paint in different conditions today a week apart and get variations, so the concept that x,000 cars of the "same" color all matched some exact standard is a bit of a stretch IMHO...
8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute